Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Proscraper vacuum scraper anyone?

concretenprimroses
12 years ago

I am thinking of buying my dh a proscraper. It is a scraper with a hollow handle that can attache to your vacuum cleaner, developed in the UK for use on boats.

He is in the process of scraping, repairing, and painting the trim and porches on our 1920s home. We bought an infra red stripper last year, and he finds it very helpful. But I know when he gets to the front porches (especially the rails and balusters on the upstairs one) it will be hard to catch all the debris with dropcloths. This seems like a good thing. It is now available in the US but I couldn't find any reviews on line.

TIA

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Proscraper

Comments (7)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I wouldn't expect that it could catch all of the scrapings, especially if you were scraping something narrow like a balluster. It probably performs best as pictured, against a ceiling where the chips fall by gravity right into the nozzle.
    Use a nice quiet shop vac like the Fein (or Festool) or you'll be reaching for earplugs after a few minutes of drone. And a HEPA filter seems like a must to make the containment idea work properly. A non-HEPA filter's gonna blow the finest particles into the neighborhood.
    I'm a teensy bit skeptical.
    Steaming or wet-scraping may be a better alternative for dust/chip control.
    Casey

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are probably right. But then it might work on our popcorn ceilings. On boats they are doing the sides. I'll probably order it for his birthday (August 26) and report back after. It really does seem to be too good to be true, not a good sign. Yeah, Hepa filter a must for sure.
    Its not a huge cash outlay, $30 plus $20 for 2 extra blades, not sure about shipping.
    Kathy

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

It does seem to be the perfect tool for popcorn ceilings! Hafta bookmark it.
    Casey

• bluezette
    12 years ago

We have one that we've used on the original wood storms and screens on our 1924 house. I've also used it on woodwork and window sills. It works well, especially on surfaces like woodwork that you can't bring to the basement or outside, and you don't want to create excessive steam and moisture in the living room.

On the wood storms, we use steam and standard scraping first, then the proscraper to get what's left after the surface has cooled, like in the video. I bought a couple of hose clamps to keep it attached to the vacuum. They helped a lot.

Here's a video on youtube.

Here is a link that might be useful: proscraper clip on youtube

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Bluzette. I ordered it. I'll have dh read this thread and look at the video after I give it to him.

Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He used it for the first time yesterday and is very pleased. He is working on the soffit which has peeling paint. Very little has fallen on the dropcloth.
    Yay! We just borrowed some scaffolding from a friend and put it up today, so that will make the work easier as well.
    Kathy

• HU-800334179
    3 years ago

super old post but i will be buying this today. i intend your let everyone know how it works. i’ve been using the paint shaver pro with GREAT results.