Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rae0101

How to fix the ceiling?

rae0101
15 years ago

We gutted the kitchen all the way back to the wood walls. It wasn't pretty wood that was meant to be seen. It had been covered with cheesecloth and wallpaper, then several coats of paint. I've put up sheetrock, taped, floated, textured and painted the kitchen walls. (The walls throughout the rest of the house had been drywalled years ago.) The problem is that the ceiling in the kitchen is this same wood. It's painted, and it looks terrible. There are gobs of latex caulk that are clearly visible, the seams of the boards are even, not offset, there are nails and DEEP marks from the hammer everywhere, and the boards aren't level. If I put sheetrock on the ceiling, I don't see how it could possibly come out even and without seams. I've wondered about applying joint compound directly to it in a plaster pattern, but it would have to go on so thick that I know it would crack. Is there a different product that wouldn't crack with a heavy application? Real plaster maybe? I've never used it. Also, I like the faux tin ceiling tiles from Home Depot, but that's more than I want to spend, and I don't know how I'd get those to look even, either. If anyone has ideas about how to fix this, I'd really appreciate it.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz