Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strip flooring with unusual cross section

Posted by ferretbee (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 11:09

(Cross posted from Flooring forum)

I'm renovating a small 1890's house and need to patch and refinish about 700 sq/ft of strip flooring. It looks like red oak, and measures 3/8 inch thick x 2 inches wide. It does not have a traditional tongue and groove but has a bevel joint instead:

Has anyone run across this type of flooring before? Someone was concerned about wavy joints if the sanding isn't kept very even.

I have not found any source for flooring with this type of joint, but can sacrifice the upstairs hallway to make my patches and then install regular tongue and groove in the hall.

Does anyone have a reasonable source for 3/8" x 2" (or even 2-1/4") unfinished red oak flooring on the East coast? I'm located in Northeastern PA.

Thanks in advance,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strip flooring with unusual cross section

Hi,
That was sold on a roll, called a wood rug; I have seen a vintage ad for it but never seen any in person. If that's what it is, it would be face-nailed with small brads. If it was laid piece-by-piece, it could have been nailed through the "tongue" or "groove".
If it's 1890 material, it is more likely white oak; red oak back then was not used as much for woodwork as for firewood.
Casey

o

Steal from the hallway for the patches, and sand VERY LIGHTLY.

=======
Casey - Do you have a link to the ad?

o

What I really need for my project is a source for 3/8" thick by x 2" (or 2-1/4") wide unfinished tongue and groove Red Oak flooring near PA.

o

I just found out today that my strip oak floors in the front hall have no tongue or groove of any sort! I've always noticed a whole lot of face-nails, but thought it had just been a squeaky floor. All the other (and abutting) floors are T+G and the house is 1906.
Odd?

o

sqsemi - In an old house, nothing is really "odd".

o

My floor is not face nailed, and likely dates to 20th century as the sub floor is typical tongue and groove 7/8" pine with a brown finish.

A local floor refinisher worked on a similar project a few months ago.

o

I removed my hall floor today and looked more closely at the stamping on the back. It's marked 'CROMAR FACTORY FINISHED FLOORING, THE CROMAR CO, WILLIAMSPORT PA, Reg US PAT 6-10-19, 9-1-25.

I found one of the patents (link attached):

A quick search turned on google for 'Cromar Flooring' had some interesting results from old newspapers and trade publications.

There was some light cardstock packaging under some pieces as shims. When pieced together it showed is was Mens/Boys Rayon Underwear by Utica Knitting Company. The packaging looked 1960's to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: freepatentsonline.com/1644710.pdf

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here