Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
removing blue foam insulation - termite damage

Posted by artlover13060 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 11:06

Hi, I usually post in the decorating forum but have a serious construction problem to solve.

A recent termite inspection alerted me to the fact that my 20 year old house has old, inactive termite tunnels in the garage. The tunnels are in the blue foam insulation and did not get to the wood.

I don't know if this is a regional thing or standard building practice, but this is how my house was built: house was framed, then foam insulation was applied to the outside of the frame, then siding was put up.

I am going to remove the blue foam that is damaged. My question is can I replace this with fiberglass insulation? The area I am replacing extends up the walls about two feet and covers an area about 12 feet wide.

A rant while I'm on the subject: I am in Georgia, one of the worst states for termites. Why would builders use an insulation that termites can eat?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: removing blue foam insulation - termite damage

Boarate-treated foam is allowed even below grade in the South.

The risk is not that termites eat the insulation but that the termites use hidden tunnels in the foam to reach the wood.

The only way termites could reach above-grade foam is to create shelter tubes up the foundation or within voids in a concrete block foundation.

Maintenance is the responsibility of the homeowner, not the builder.

can I replace this with fiberglass insulation?

If there is foam but no other sheathing, I'd use a borate treated foam board. Aside from some foundation fiberglass products, fiberglass cannot be used where it is subject to moisture.

o

Worthy - thanks for your reply. Can you give me a name brand for Boarate-treated foam or an idea of where to purchase it? HD has pink foam but I didn't write down the brand.

o

The only one I know of is Perform Guard DPS.

However, as you are not using this in a below-grade application, I think non-treated XPS (extruded polystyrene) or EPS (expanded polystyrene)would be fine.

But to avoid future termite problems, determine how the termites came in and try to block the route and/or keep an eye on the area. And follow all the usual rules on keeping them at bay. Keep all wood away from the foundation. Watch for shelter tubes. Treat the soil if feasible.

Termites have been a problem in parts of Toronto since the 1930s, when they probably hitched rides in on wooden crates arriving by ship to the Harbour. So it's not just a southern US problem.

Here is a link that might be useful: Termite Tips for Gardeners

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here