Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting an old storm door.

Posted by gregf_2010 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 27, 10 at 11:06

Perhaps, someone could advise me. I need to paint an old white storm door along with the metal frame around it. The door is a little over 17yrs old. The door was bought at a Home Depot store in Brookfield, Ct.. I live in Putnam County, N.Y.. The door needs painting, but, I do not know what kind of white paint the manufacturer originally used on the door and it's metal frame. I want to paint both this door ( I think its made out of a combination of wood and fiberglas?) and the metal frame (possibly made of aluminum). Both are white and I want to keep to the white. This door and frame, I stress, have never been painted except, by the manufacturer. I need to know, what, if any, primer is needed and what kind of primer to use and what kind of paint to use (latex or oil base)? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting an old storm door.

If I were doing this, I would remove remove the door from the hinges if possible and place on a work table. I would give it a good cleaning using steel wool and some mineral spirits. That will clean it and roughen up the paint surface so that the new paint has something to grip. Then I would tape off what I didn't want to turn white and spray prime and then spray paint it.

Warning - I'm an amateur. You might want to cross post on the Paint forum and hear what the experts say.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum all surface spray paint

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here