Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about ventless heaters?

Posted by newdawn1895 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 10:51

I have an old Victorian Cottage, circa 1895. I have two fireplace's one in the living room and one in the kitchen. They are the old fireplace's that were used for cole. The insert is quite small and the chimmey is capped off.

My question is, can I put in ventless heater's without worrying about the house catching on fire?

My gas bills in the winter are enormous, because I have no insulation in the walls.

I live alone so I don't want to be scared to death. lol

....Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about ventless heaters?

If you read the "instruction manual" for any ventless heater they all require a certain amount of air exchange so you have to open windows a certain amount or have a large house or room. Most fireplace stores I have visited do not recommend or sell ventless heaters because they do produce carbon monoxide and they are more unsafe than vented heaters.

I would not purchase one if you plan to run it for lengthy periods.

Something you may want to look into are gas heaters or certain types of pellot stoves, corn stoves ect that are "direct" vented. This means they do not require a chimney, just a pipe exciting the house where the exhaust goes. These can be easily installed on any exterior wall.

I have two direct vented empire heaters. I really love them and would recommend them. They can be hooked up to a thermostat very easily and can keep a room very toasty.

Yes, they are more expensive than ventless heaters, but a lot safer.

if you want a cheap option...electricity is becoming cheaper in some areas than gas. Buying an electric heater, to use in a room would be the cheapest and easiest way to keep your room warm. However, these are not safe to run while you are not home, which is fine, because you don't need heat if you are not home!

-renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here