Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tin ceiling tile repair

Posted by pinestrawkid (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 21, 09 at 10:41

Some of my vintage tin ceiling tiles are rusted, and other tiles have holes in them. Any suggestions as to how I might repair my tiles? I can't seem to locate replacement tiles that match what I have, and I don't want to give up this vintage look my ceilings currently have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tin ceiling tile repair

American has many of the old patterns, but if they do not you can try salvage yards in your area.

Small holes like nail holes can be patched and painted using bondo (the car body putty).

If the ceiling is not painted you may have to paint it (even silver) to cover up the repairs.

Rust can be removed with naval jelly.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Tin Ceilings

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here