Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Old House homeowners insurance

Posted by hockeymom93 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 10:41

My husband and I bought a home handy special and we can't get homeowners insurance while we live and work on it. if anyone knows of insurances companys that will insurance us please let us know.... Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Old House homeowners insurance

Farmers, State Farm, Liberty Mutual, Allstate - they all insure old homes.

RE: Old House homeowners insurance

This may be outdated info but when we bought our slum lord special, Chubb would only write a fire policy until we moved in, & then we converted it to homeowners.

RE: Old House homeowners insurance

Do you have to tell them how much work it needs?

RE: Old House homeowners insurance

They come look at it, and prolly photograph it. As soon as I bought my fixer upper, they appeared. LOL. But, I didn't have a problem at all getting insurance. The only stipulation was I put in a hand-rail on the back porch, because it had more than three steps to it. They did ask me all sorts of questions as to the entrance box, fire alarms, wiring. That didn't stop me from getting insurance, but it can affect the rates. As you make improvements, and let them know what you've done, the costs go down.

Pick up a phone book and let your fingers do the walking. Some companies won't insure farms, some won't insure vacation homes. They all have their guidelines and not necessarily the same ones.

Whatever you do, however, don't fudge answers. Be truthful. If you try to make it look better than it is, and you need to make claims, they may not cover it, and it could be considered fraudulent.

RE: Old House homeowners insurance

I bought a ruin a few months ago and had to get a builder's risk policy. The good thing is that the builder's risk cost less than a regular homeowner's policy. I had to get separate policies for flood and liability.

Before the insurance company would write the policy, I was required to submit estimates for repair from a licensed contractor and a report from a structural engineer certifying that the house was structurally sound. The insurance agency provided me with the name of the engineer (he charged $100.00). They also reminded me not to mention structural issues in the estimate (such as shoring, leveling, foundation work, etc.)

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here