Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PDF on house styles, mostly var of Craftsman bungalows

Posted by marys1000 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 9:57

I was surfing and while this pdf file is a city in California's website concentrating on mostly bungalows it has a description of several other early 1900 styles and pictures of each with descriptions. I'm posting because I've seen several questions here of "what is this house's style" and think it might help some people

Here is a link that might be useful: architectural styles, early 1900s

Follow-Up Postings:

o
apologies

Ok, apologies for posting the pdf. Apparently pdf's on this subject abound and there probably wasn't a need to post this one.
I'm learning a lot from all of them so while I'm here to sink this thread I might as well post an even slightly more broad based and informative pdf.
I particularly liked that it gave the really simple farm houses I see around here a style name - the Homestead Style. Although many of the ones around here don't even have the porch.

Here is a link that might be useful: architectural styles, early 1900s

o
RE: PDF on house styles, mostly var of Craftsman bungalows

Thank you for posting this pdf, marys1000. I too am learning a lot about house styles. The more I read and look the more I think my house is a rural version of Italianate. But it's hard, at least for me, to tell when dealing with simpler houses. Often times those architecture style guides only show the big fancy houses. Which is fine, but I like to see common simple houses that are all over the place here. And while they may not have all the fancy woodwork they are still beautiful in their own right.

o
RE: PDF on house styles, mostly var of Craftsman bungalows

Just for fun, I'm adding a link to a Craftsman Style Guide (which I think is published in Glendale, CA.).

Here is a link that might be useful: Craftsman Style Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here