Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to fix minor peeling on a tin ceiling?

Posted by la_koala (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 07 at 9:33

Hi,

My husband and I bought an 1900's house a year ago, and one of the rooms has a tin ceiling, painted white. I noticed on the floor the other day a paint flake and looked up to see a small area on the ceiling where the paint had flaked off. It is about 1/2 inch in diameter or less--but the paint looks flaky around the now-bare spot.

Is there a way that we can "touch-up" the peeling area and avoid having to fix the entire ceiling?

I haven't examined the bare spot closely enough yet to see if there's some systemic issue. The rest of the ceiling looks perfect. We live in an area of summer humidity and salt air, so I'd like to know what to do in case the environment is just going to make it worse.

You can assume that we know very little at this point about what questions to ask--I'm just beginning researching on the Web.

Thanks!
--LA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to fix minor peeling on a tin ceiling?

Remove the flaking paint, prime and top coat. Getting it to match the current color will be the trickiest part of the project unless you know what color it was .
Ron

o

Thanks Ron!

At least the first part sounds easy enough. I can see what you mean about matching the current color--the paint looks such a stark white. I'll have to check the paint cans that the previous owner left us and see if anything looks remotely similar.

--LA

o

When you climb up to remove the rest of the flaking paint, save a few of the largest paint chips to take in and have the color matched by the store computer. If it's a big enough chip, you should also be able to tell what kind of finish it has; eggsheel, satin, gloss, flat...

o

If you are down to the bare tin, latex paint will cause it to rust which will bleed through the paint. After you get a good layer of oil based (or whatever the current substitute is) paint covering it then subsequent coats can be latex with no problem.

o

littledog and judeny, belated thanks for those great tips!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here