Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graywings123

Sash cords - metal or rope?

graywings123
12 years ago

What do you prefer to use for replacement sash cords? I see the ads for the long-lasting metal chains, but if the rope has held for 90 years, I'm wondering whether metal is worth the investment.

Comments (20)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Chains use slightly different pulleys.

A rope pulley is a smooth groove, while chain pulleys originally had a groove in the surface to help guide the chain.

Flat chain is not as dependent on the groove.

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

Hi graywings,

We're in the process of replacing our sash cords with chain...14 done, 10 to go. We have a carpenter doing it for us, and he fits rehabbing our windows in between his other jobs so the progress has been slow.

So far, we've been really happy with the sash chains. I don't notice them being loud, and the windows open and close smoothly and effortlessly. Our pulleys are just ordinary pulleys that previously had cotton cord.

I'm attaching an old thread that I started when we were thinking about getting started. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous post

• graywings123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Arlosmom - thanks for linking that thread. I am really undecided about cord vs chain. Do you recall which of the sash chains you purchased from Kilian?

I have been internet shopping around for the waxed cotton cord that badgergrrl mentioned. It seems to be sold by British dealers. I'm not seeing any US sites that sell it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kilian sash chains

• arlosmom
    12 years ago

We got the #25 solid bronze. Killian has been great to deal with.

• sacto_diane
    12 years ago

I'm in the cord camp and have switched from 100% cotton to Spot Cord. Still cotton but with a nylon core. Some of the local windows restoration folks sold me on spot cord. The nylon core gives the cord a longer lifespan but you get the cotton look/feel.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Spot Cord

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

I replaced all of mine, 23, with regular nylon rope. It will outlast my children and then some.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Still cotton but with a nylon core."

This is the best stuff.

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

Cords with just nylon, I've read, will stretch over time, something you definitely don't want in sash weights!

Go with the traditional cotton or 'spot cord'. I've not tried chains, but I don't see why a special pulley would be needed?

• Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

Instead of chains or rope I have a few windows with thinly cut sheeting of metal. At least the metal kept the nutjob who lived here before us from CUTTING the rope sashes which she did in almost every single room!

• columbusguy1
    12 years ago

Carol, I'd wager the thin metal strips are 'spring balances' an entirely different system. Not seen them in action, but I think you can still get replacements if you need them.

At least with those type, you can insulate the weight pockets!

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I doubt those sash cords are actually 90 years old!

We replaced all the rope in our old place with flat brass chain. No problems with the pulleys, no noise, perfect function. In fact, I used to demonstrate raising and lowering my windows with my pinkie, just to shut up the replacement crowd.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"thin metal strips are 'spring balances'"

Pullman manufacturing still makes them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spring Balances that work

• antiquesilver
    12 years ago

Regarding the above comment about nylon cord stretching, I used braided nylon cord about 20 years ago & haven't seen any evidence of stretching.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

If you set the cord length correctly to start with it is going to take a LOT of stretch to cause a problem.

• catperson
    12 years ago

Our house was built in 1898 and has many of the original sash cords still intact, showing they can last longer than 90 years. I'm sure they are original to the house because there are some that are broken, so I believe none of them were replaced over the years. Almost everything was still intact in our house when we bought it.

• ranjangretchen
    6 years ago

I need some help. My house was a L-style farmhouse built in 1870, but the owners were builders and in the early 1900s they renovated the home in craftsman style. I can see that they put in some new windows at that time. Both the "new" and original windows are SASH WINDOWS. BUT INSTEAD OF CHAIN OR ROPE, MANY OF THESE WINDOWS USE METAL BANDS (OR FLAT STRIPS) TO SUPPORT SASH WEIGHTS. That is, they use neither chains or ropes, but flat metal bands. I have researched this extensively but I cannot find anyone else who has this type of window. They work great. Please let me know if you know anything!!!

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    6 years ago

They are called Pullman or Caldwell spring balances. I last bought some new ones ten years ago, from Blaine Window Hardware.

Casey

• User
    3 years ago

"MANY OF THESE WINDOWS USE METAL BANDS (OR FLAT STRIPS) TO SUPPORT SASH WEIGHTS". Are are older windows that use metal banding over a traditional pulley that is also flat to accommodate the metal banding. They are not Coleman or spring balances. The setup is very similar to a weight and pulley system used with cotton cord. I would love to get access to this metal banding if anyone has a source.

• kats737
    3 years ago

farrelltreck try Killian Hardware. I'm not sure what your stup is (ours use metal pulleys and braided cloth cord) but they should be able to have it or point you to it.