Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting exterior wood trim

Posted by chscl (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 8:51

...moving from paint forum .....😄

Hello,
We are considering getting the woodwork on the exterior of our home painted and have gotten quotes from several painting contractors.
Since we aren't knowledgable about painting and have experienced shoddy work with previous contractors we would like to know what would be the "right" way to do the paint job? One guy said he would just sand, prime and paint two coats of paint and another guy said for more money he would do it the "more thorough" way which would entail stripping the wood then sand, then prime , then do the two layers of paint. Our home is about 80 years old- so for the most part the wood is buried under layers and layers of paint over the years. I've attached a picture to show everyone what I mean.
Thanks for any opinions and input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting exterior wood trim

It's all in the prep.

You should scrape it with a paint scraper and wire brush it thoroughly (a pleasant task that - wear gogles) before sanding (if you really think sanding is required). You should wash it with detergent or trisodium phosphate. Probly before sanding. If the old paint has stuck good no need to remove it unless you want a perfectly smooth finish. Nobody'll get that close anyway so why bother.

If it's really bad a high pressure water jet might be in order (faster) but be careful to miss the glazing. Then scrape etc as above. I spect a pro painter won't really want to do all that.

Primer and 2 coats will do it tho 1 coat might be OK. I'd do 2. Gets teedjous.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here