Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thank goodness I've found you! and an actual question

Posted by Lady_Driver (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 5:06

Hello all,
I'm so pleased to have found fellow older house enthusiasts. I need the ammunition. My DH and I will be updating our 1920's bungalow next year and the battle lines are already being drawn regarding the California cooler, the dumbwaiter, and the built-ins in the dining room.

My first question is regarding picture windows. Could mine be original? There are two. One is in the living room and one is in the dining room. Both face what was probably a dramatic river view in 1923. Darn those trees than insist upon growing. Every outward sign makes them seem as if they were a part of the original house.The very distinctive trim matches. I know that picture windows weren't common in the twenties, but I've seen ads in house beautiful magazines of the era with picture windows. I don't really want to mess with them if I don't have to.

I have lots more questions, comments and pictures. This is just an easy intro. I've even got a twenties "nano wall" because everything old is new again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thank goodness I've found you! and an actual question

Architect Louis Sullivan invented the picture window composition (of a wide fixed panel flanked by two operable double-hungs) in 1899, when it was dubbed the Chicago Window.
So yours from the 20's is hardly groundbreakingly early.
Casey

o

Our 1920 house has them too - had three of them but someone previously took one out to but in doors to a patio! Argh

o

What's a "California Cooler"?

o

If you can integrate the 'california cooler' into your designs, you should keep it, and not just to preserve the historical integrity. It's a handy and ecologically correct way to store root vegetables and coming back into style. Neither would I remove original built-ins unless they are just plain pug ugly. It's very much a part of the charms of that era. The dumb waiter? I've never seen one kept original in my area, but have seen and used laundry chutes. I've heard they are considered a possible fire hazard however.

o

What style is your home? Could we see a picture? That will tell us more about whether the picture windows are original than the date does.

o

I've seen those cupboards, but didn't know they had a specific name ... it's where my aunt in Monterey kept her potatoes and cheese and things that needed to be kept coolish but not refrigerated.

It would be excellent for red wine!

o

Battle lines? With whom are you fighting?

The most important issues regarding large glass panels is the local climate, fuel cost, codes, orientation and shade but we don't know much about those issues. Consider all aspects of a design issue before making a decision or you might have to do it again later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here