Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Int.Desgn-Q. Sliding dining room / lv room c. 1912 doors

Posted by gardurnit (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 4:31

This is not about the doors.
It's a tough subject to describe. It's not really about the doors. They run on
a track or just rollers and slide into the wall. They're heartwood pine and 100
years old and work fine. Doors , each, are 7' high x 7' long.

Envision yourself standing looking at the closed doors and on the right side is a
wall with the plaster badly damaged because of high back 'sofa chairs' being pushed
against them for years. You're in the living room.
and
It was a rental. (thus the damage)

I'm debating what to do with this wall. I have an opportunity to use it creatively. *
Right now it's covered with a nice but old vinyl wall covering which is torn at
the site of the line of breakage. It might be salvageable or not. Let's assume not.

If the wall is repaired I'd have a plaster covered wall with lath behind it.
Behind that lath I assume is the slot for the sliding door. I can repair the wall and
cover it or paint it and hang a picture on it.

There are not many walls like it in the entire house since much of the house is
heartwood or fine grain pin or fir from the 1900's. The exceptions are when you're
upstairs and the bedrooms have plaster walls.

I ignore them, in my mind, for some reason. I'm only now after
35 years planning to move into the house. I intend to get profession design help
someday for the parts of the house I don't think about right now.

The key areas of beauty have been the living / dining / entry and stairway all of which are
the finished wood. I thought I'd paint them blue or orange. j/k

About this post -
*Except for the slot for the door the wall thickness is wasted space. It's on the living room
side of the lv-rm/dining rm combo. It might make a beautiful location for shelves or a video
panel. The space I have is about 6' wide by 8 feet tall.

Opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Int.Desgn-Q. Sliding dining room / lv room c. 1912 doors

Your house sounds beautiful! I think your question is whether you should make the remove the pocket doors and make the recess into a shelves/ entertainment area, or repair it to the original plaster and retain the pocket doors. It's possible that I've misunderstood that question, if so, you can disregard the following comments.

For me, the choice would be simple. You are fortunate to have a house with many original elements. I'd keep as many as possible, including the pocket doors. You can always put shelves or an entertainment unit right in front of the wall, but it would be tough to un-do the removal of working pocket doors. Dear friends of mine have a 1910 arts and crafts home that had a pocket door removed in the 1970's for a built-in fish tank. Although I know a fish tank is very different from shelves, the sorrow one feels 20-30 years later when an original element of the house is taken out is always the same.

Regardless, it is your home, and although it's always a little sad for me to see original elements removed from a house, it's so much better to see someone love and value an old home and breathe new life into it. Best of luck to you, I look forward to hearing more about your home- it sounds stunning.

o

Me tto. I would never consider removing the pocket doors. I'd love to have them.
Diane

o

I'm not sure if I am interpreting correctly, but it sounds like you have pocket doors on a long wall. The door only goes partway down the wall and you have a 6' section of wall beyond where the door recedes into.

If that is correct, that section of wall has some empty space inside that isn't being used. Theoretically, that could be built in shelves or an entertainment center without disrupting the sliding doors at all. If so, that could be a place where you can reclaim some space. Beware though, you probably aren't the first person to notice the extra space. An electrician, plumber or HVAC guy could have used that as a chase since it was big and relatively accessible. You never know what you are going to find when you start opening walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here