Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jambe_gw

How's Moulding Attached to Wall?

jambe
14 years ago

I'm renovating an upstairs room in a late-1800's farmhouse. I ripped out the shoddy lowered ceilings to find the large piece of poplar/oak molding over the door had been knocked loose by the POs. They tried to nail the headpiece back up with two stud nails and split it.

The piece was just sitting atop the vertical flat trim pieces precariously since they only caught plaster with their nails, so I lifted it down (lest somebody get a nasty clonk on the head). When I examined it I found no fasteners of any kind (there are cut nails holding the 3 pieces of the assembly together, but there were no mechanical fasteners holding the assembly to the wall).

My question is... how was the trim originally attached? Was it just smooshed up into the uncured brown coat of the lath & plaster wall? There's no finish coat behind where the moulding was, and that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

The POs painted this room entirely black before doing the lowered ceiling and icky chipboard wall paneling, so I'll have to strip all the trim. If I'm to resurface the original wood effectively I'll have to remove it... but I don't know how to put it back up! Would liquid nails or something similar suffice, or will I have to resort to some mechanical fasteners?

I can provide some photos if necessary.

Comments (6)