Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How's Moulding Attached to Wall?

Posted by jambe (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 10, 09 at 2:36

I'm renovating an upstairs room in a late-1800's farmhouse. I ripped out the shoddy lowered ceilings to find the large piece of poplar/oak molding over the door had been knocked loose by the POs. They tried to nail the headpiece back up with two stud nails and split it.

The piece was just sitting atop the vertical flat trim pieces precariously since they only caught plaster with their nails, so I lifted it down (lest somebody get a nasty clonk on the head). When I examined it I found no fasteners of any kind (there are cut nails holding the 3 pieces of the assembly together, but there were no mechanical fasteners holding the assembly to the wall).

My question is... how was the trim originally attached? Was it just smooshed up into the uncured brown coat of the lath & plaster wall? There's no finish coat behind where the moulding was, and that's the only thing that makes sense to me.

The POs painted this room entirely black before doing the lowered ceiling and icky chipboard wall paneling, so I'll have to strip all the trim. If I'm to resurface the original wood effectively I'll have to remove it... but I don't know how to put it back up! Would liquid nails or something similar suffice, or will I have to resort to some mechanical fasteners?

I can provide some photos if necessary.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How's Moulding Attached to Wall?

Finish nails into the studs unless it was really shoddy work.

Often 12d.

o

jambe, can you see if there's any evidence of filled-in nail holes in the trim piece?

I'm wondering if the trim piece had been taken down earlier, the nails pulled out, the nail holes filled in, the piece repainted, and then they just set it atop the vertical pieces where you found it.

o

As long as you can get the peice to stay where it looks aesthetically correct while the construction glue is drying theres no reason you can't glue, unless you plan on doing pull-ups on it lol.

o

la_koala, you're right. There are filled holes. Why the heck the nuts bothered to pull the original fasteners and fill the holes before driving their huge stud nails into it I have no idea...

I'll just use some finish nails to reattach it! Thanks!

o

Glue is fine but if you can find the studs, mark them on the molding and drill a small pilot hole where you want the nails to be. This will avoid splitting the trim.

We've had to do the same thing with our trim issues, like around the windows in our upstairs bathroom. We had very little sash to nail to so we drilled pilot holes and then nailed the trim so we wouldn't split the exposed sash or the trim with the nail being at the edge. We wanted a relief to give the windows period character, with no damage.

I'm posting a link to our project. You will have to scroll through the photos because I'm being lazy. Good luck! It's very doable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bathroom photos

o

"...drill a small pilot hole where you want the nails to be. This will avoid splitting the trim."

Using a nail gun will also eliminate almost all splitting.

I use a Paslode 16 gauge angle finish nailer for trim work.

The 'nails' are t-head style and range from 1 inch to 2.5 inches.

The single stroke of the nail gun with thinner nails is less likely to split wood.

I can nail even 1 inch pieces of 3/4 inch oak quarter round without any pre-drilling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here