Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_mcbob_gw

Moving company destroyed the staircase...

bob_mcbob
16 years ago

I'm looking for some advice on repairing broken stairs. My mother recently bought a new (old) house, and was informed at the last moment that there was "some damage to the stairwell". When we got there, we found out that the previous owners' moving company had dropped a large treadmill all the way down the 140-year-old original staircase, cracking five steps and denting two. It also took out one of the spokes and left several holes in the wall. Adding to this, they called in some sort of repair company, who screwed pine boards to all the cracked steps so the rest of the stuff could be moved out. The good news is that the moving company is insured, and they are going to pay for repairs. However, I think they are going about it completely the wrong way, and I'd like some other opinions.

The people who screwed the boards onto the stairs are going to be handling the repair. I'm not entirely sure what they actually do, but they seem to be some sort of general repair place. They have apparently hired a "restoration expert" to do some work on the stairs. He came by yesterday, and I found out that he's actually only a carptenter, and doesn't even do stuff like staining -- I really don't understand the "restoration expert" title. Anyhow, the plan is to remove all the cracked and dented steps, replace them with new wood, and try to match the original stain. My problem with this is that the original stairs have a very strong wear pattern I don't think they are going to be able to match. I believe they mentioned using "old wood," which is presumably reclaimed wood, but even then it would be completely different and very obvious.

I don't really understand why a "restoration expert" who apparently deals with old houses regularly doesn't do finish restoration. I also don't understand why they couldn't glue the cracked steps together with hide glue and conceal the damage. I have some experience with people who restore pianos and antique furniture, and this is exactly what they would do. I understand there is a safety issue with stairs, but there is also the historical character and look to consider.

Overall I've found the situation quite frustrating. I don't know why they had to screw boards to all the broken stairs without asking my mother. We would certainly have put up with not being able to go upstairs for a week or two, and the moving company could have removed the rest of the stuff over the balcony (we had to move in a mattress and bed in this way, and it was not difficult). I'm also concerned that the damage will affect the value of the house, since the stairs are a very central original feature, especially if it is obvious that half of them have been replaced.

I'd really appreciate some advice on this issue. I have before and after photos I should be able to post tomorrow.

Comments (5)