Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost to repair plaster

Posted by MJsmama (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 2:07

We have slick wall/plaster and lathe, and are about to commence the demolition portion of a kitchen remodel. The footprint will remain the same, but we anticipate damage to the plaster when removing the old soffit, cabinets and countertops. My husband did drywall every summer in his teens (summer job) so I have him almost convinced he can patch anything that will be covered by a cabinet. He refuses to handle anything visible to the eye because he is intimidated by the slick wall. [Perfectionist doesn't even begin to describe...] How much should I expect to pay to patch/repair, finish the holes for can lights, etc.? Is there a ROUGH hourly/day rate I can look for? I'm not asking for a hard number, as I don't have measurements, number of lights, etc. Would like to know what anyone else paid out there, if willing to disclose. I want to be sure we don't get hosed.

THANKS! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost to repair plaster

Bids will vary widely. On a recent repair job I was involved with, bids came in anywhere from $300 to $2500. Check around (and of course, check references, and make sure the exact same specs are given to the contractors).

It's going to depend on the available contractors in your area. Any estimates you get from us are going to be practically worthless.

o
RE: Cost to repair plaster

Go take a gander at a big bookstore and locate the latest editions of the Means Construction Estimator books. They publish volumes for residential new construction and for remodeling.

Then you figure out how to factor in your job description, and location and then you'll be able to work out ...... well, a ball park, anyway. But at least it's a jumping off point.

For modest repair jobs, the cost is going to all over the map depending (mostly) on how convenient it would be for the trades to fit it into their other commitments. And with plaster you definitely want to don't want to go with a jack of all trades; you want a skilled plasterer. Almost every area has at least some guys who know how to do this, but it does take digging around to find them. (Ask at masons' supply stores.) Perhaps you'll discover someone who wants to moonlight on such a small job.

Good luck, glass-smooth plaster is a joy to behold, and worth the trouble to keep in good repair.

Molly~

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here