Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there an incredibly thin R 13 insulation for tight spaces?

Posted by fireweed22 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 1:30

Also posted in the New house forum, as I think this could go either way, but thinking about it now it's all about bringing an old house to current day comfort.

I have an old A-frame cabin (previously used only for summer usage), about 325 sq', just had the roof and cold floor spray foamed. Also cuboard interiors. What's left is the end walls (non-sloping). So approx 3/4 of the place is now tight.

The wall construction seems to be 2" cedar boards, then shingled on outside. I think no tar paper as I can see light coming through the boards!

With the built in kitchen and bed in loft there is nowhere to frame in space for insulation without a serious reno (no budget left for that). I'm wondering if there is a super thin insulation (panels??) that may come anywhere near to R-13?

The rigid is way too thick, I think it was 2".
On top of that I do plan to put T&G pine.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there an incredibly thin R 13 insulation for tight spaces?

Unfortunately, the answer in this forum is still "no": there is no super-insulating material available to homeowners at an affordable price.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:44

o

Easy. Put up the R-13 foam or whatever to get your insulation then cover it with wall paper that looks like wood paneling. Thin - warm - cheap.

o

mxyplx, R-13 in foam would be 2" thick and the op wants much thinner than that.

o

Guess I got it rong? I thot the 2" rigid PLUS the T&G pine was too much so the paper being about zero would be a dandy fix. Not so. Don't know how thick the pine might be.

Facing reality I'd forget the pine and hang as much rigid as practicable where possible then paint over it and live with it. I insulated my steel garage door with 2 thicknesses of foam total R-10 as I recall. That's all that would fit. Really helps. 1.5" thick. 10/13 = 0.7692307692307692307.... not too bad. It's only 23% colder at that end. :-)

o

Yes afraid 2" won't cut it. One inch is truly too thick, as pine t&g is just under an inch already.
Will try an inch rigid plus the pine and just find a sneaky way to transition it.
Thanks all!

o

mxyplx,
The foam board needs to be covered by something other than paper or paint. Fire regulations.

o

Code here also requires a covering.

o

:-) There seems to be a difficulty for every solution.

o

true dat!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here