Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ohmmm_gw

Getting around in attic to work?

ohmmm_gw
9 years ago

House is in South Dakota. Built in 1977. Split level. Trusses used. Straight shot across from gable to gable in attic.

Need to add more vent cans as there is only 1 on the main house even though it has a newer roof. Don't ask me why the roofers used only one.

Also need to add a vent for the upstairs bath, which has none and apparently has never had one. Opening the window when the temperature is -20 out is not my idea of a vent.

Attic has about 8 inches of blown in cellulose. From the looks of it, nobody has been up there since it was blown in, save for the roofers blocking off the opening for the fresh air intake on the roof with sheet metal. The pipe is just open in the attic and the previous homeowner put duct tape over it downstairs in the utility room. Guess they didn't like the basement flooding with cold air in winter. But I digress.

Back to the topic at hand, getting my 140lbs around on top of this pristine layer of cellulose insulation and not pushing out the drywall from the trusses.

Do I just lay boards down on top of this 8 inch layer of cellulose to walk on so I can get this work done?

Comments (5)