Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Source for interior transom windows?

Posted by bevangel (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 0:57

This is my first posting although I've been reading the forums here for several months and have found y'all to be a great source of information!

I'm getting ready to build a "new old-house" and am in the "specify everything" stage. Can anyone point me to a source for operable transom windows to be used over interior doors? The only transom windows I've been able to locate are for exterior, entry-way doors and appear to be double-paned, inoperable, and often aluminum or vinyl clad. I'm looking for 12" to 16" high, 32" wide transoms with stain-quality wood frames that can be opened. I need eight of them. Since they'll be used over interior doors. I see no point in paying for double or triple glazing. Would love it if I could find old stained-glass transoms that would fit without paying an "arm & a leg" for them but am willing to live without the stained glass for now.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Source for interior transom windows?

Alot of your bigger antique stores have them and alot of times everything you need.Dont know where youre from but Lancaster Pa, Renningers,and black Angus probably have them.

RE: Source for interior transom windows?

I'm in central Texas and have not had any luck finding these in local antique stores. The occasional windows I find are never the right size. Need to find a source on the web if at all possible so was hoping to find someone manufacturing "replacement" interior transoms.

RE: Source for interior transom windows?

Any custom millwork shop can make these for you, in the wood of your choice. Find a local shop. They can also make the doors and jambs if you like.

RE: Source for interior transom windows?

There is a company in North Carolina that makes some really cool interior transoms. They have just about anything you would ever want. Great source! Go to

RE: Source for interior transom windows?

Just checked out the company above, and they have a 12x32 for $70. I'd check with a local millwork place for a competitive bid, that way no shipping fees.
By the way, when I was house-hunting, all the interior transoms I saw, and ones in friends' houses, were plain glass for interiors--only exterior transoms had muntins or stained glass. My own transom over the front door is stained, an art nouveau pattern--while that over the back door is plain. The front one matches my sidelight.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here