Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing paint from old window screens

Posted by ragshini (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 11, 06 at 0:34

I am just beginning to think about restoring/repairing the old wood windows and screens in our small 1920's house. I am not coming up with any information on the internet on how to remove paint from old window screens. I am not just talking a spot here or a drip there. The screens look to have been painted over the years, possibly a couple layers, the top layer being black, and possibly oil paint. Is it possible to remove the paint? And if so, how would I go about this? I am prepared for hours of work if that is what it will take. The screens themselves are in fine condition. They look to be some type of metal underneath the paint. Are window screens suppsed to be painted? Once uncovered of paint, will they rust? any answers and suggestions to my questions are greatly appreciated.

also, what can anyone tell me about bronze screen if i were to consider that as a replacement option. or any other kind of metal that was used for screens back in the day? thanks, stephanie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing paint from old window screens

Hmmm, perhaps your screens are bronze that has aged to that beautiful dark blackish-green color of old bronze? If the screens are in fine condition why would you replace them, unless they are clogged with paint? If they are truly clogged I would just replace the screening, which is not hard to do, but does take some practice to get them really tight. Bronze screening is expensive (but worth it in my opinion because it gets to be such a nice dark color), but if you invested in a roll, that would lower the price some. You can find it on-line by googling, I'm sure.

Have you tried just scrubbing the screens with a stiffish brush? It's remarkable how much gunk accumluates over time. Vaccuum first, then scrub briskly with lots of water.

HTH

MOlly

o

If the screening material is still in good condition, and not rusted out, it might be something other than steel wire. In that case, the excess paint can be stripped and the screen should clean up OK. When repairing/rebuilding screens, I like to use the grey coated fiberglass material. It looks good, and lasts for many years, even in Wisconsin.

o

I wish it was aged bronze. the screens definitely have layers of paint, the same black and green paint that i can see from paint chipping on the window frame. i would rather not replace the screens, but get them back to their original state. i have not tried anything yet to get the paint off, but will try the stiff brush and stripping, and see if that works. any tips on how to use paint stripper on a screen? thanks for the replies

o

Back in olden times, before there was fiberglass screen, galvanised steel screen, or even aluminum screen, there was painted steel screen. You evidently have a real relic there.
Used to be you could buy screen paint at the hardware store, it was blended so as to not clog the mesh. It's very likely that their original state was, in fact, painted black or dark green.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here