Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Style of House?

Posted by bigporch (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 08 at 23:50

Can anyone offer any insight to the style of house this may be technically considered? My initial thought was an American Foursquare, but the gable dormers and the fact that this is a center hall with a fifth room at the top of the stairs adds to my uncertainty. I believe this was built around 1905. I haven't been able to find any photos of homes that are similar. Any links and/or comments would be appreciated.

Here is a photo:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_6sjS5VxtV54/SFcwFiwvTSI/AAAAAAAAAGM/XmdqkCWV9Iw/s1600/house.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Style of House?

It's a craftsman-influenced center hall house. More upscale and suburban (fit for a larger lot) than a foursquare. Foursquares were kept narrow/deep for narrow lot sizes.
Casey

o

See if you can get hold of a copy of "A Field Guild to American Houses" by Virginia and Lee McAlester.
Turn to the section on 'Eclectic Houses, Colonial Revival'. You will find good descriptions and history and pictures of houses much like yours,except their columns are Doric and Ionic, Colonial Revival, and yours are 'Arts and Crafts', or 'Craftsman'. You have rafter tails, they have corbels.
Then find the sections on 'Eclectic Houses,Prairie', and then 'Craftsman', and see details almost exactly like yours. And, for fun, leaf through the pages in between.

I have seen houses that were 'Spanish Eclectic' on the outside and English Edwardian ( Victorian/Arts and Crafts mix) on the inside. The pyramid roof with its strong eaves gives that solid, settled feeling of a foursquare. It was used extensively from the late 1890's to the mid 1920's on many styles of houses. A house can be described by its floor plan, its shape, and its decoration - all valid ways of seeing what's there, but each is only part of the story.

Finally, look for Alan Gowans, 'The Comfortable House', a book about your period with lots of pictures and descriptions.

o

Thank you both for the helpful information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here