Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to work on first?

Posted by rabbit8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 21, 09 at 22:48

I purchased a I house that was built in 1935. It was a boarding house at first I was told. I'm mainly concerned about the floor in two of the bedrooms. The wooden floors are covered with carpet.After walking on them for the last 10 years, I can feel areas (with my feet) that seems to be uneven underneath the carpet and in one of the bedrooms the boards in one of the bedrooms seems to be loose. I need some advice as to what steps to take to remedy this problem without spending a lot of money. Please give advice. I do thank you for your assistance in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to work on first?

If it's just loose boards, you can nail through the carpet. There are even special screws, whose name escapes me, for that purpose.

Of course, to really find out what's going on and repair properly you have to remove the carpet.

o

When we replaced our kitchen vinyl floor, the floor was uneven in one place because of an old leak. To correct the problem, the damaged part of the floor was removed and replaced. Then a new, thin subfloor was installed throughout the floor. I forgot what they call it. It's sort of a thin plywood made specially for that purpose. Floor dealers use it all the time.

If your floor problem does not involve water damage, you probably will not have to replace any damaged part. Just cover it with that thin plywood, and you'll have a nice smooth surface. Then you can lay whatever finished floor you want over that -- carpet, wood, etc.

o

If you want to fix the problem, you really need to find out what is wrong. A squeaky board might be fixed with a nail or screw. A structural defect may require considerable effort and expense to fix. Minor damage can usually be addressed relatively cheaply if you are in the process of replacing carpet. We (and you) aren't going to know what it entails though until you find out what is actually wrong.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here