Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What a mess...

Posted by jennamae (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 08 at 22:23

The addition on my house was just painted white, but the painters over-sprayed paint onto the brick main house. It looks so sloppy. Does anyone have a suggestion of what will remove the paint from the brick?
Thanks...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What a mess...

Get the painters back in and make sure they use the 'right' stuff on it - ask at local hardware stores for whatever is 'right' for the job (and so if they're wrong, you'll have 'comeback' and not have lost more money).

o

That's a tough task -- make sure you get the painters back to fix it themselves; that's definitely part of the job you hired them for!

o

Anyone ever try Oops? I've had several people suggest it.

o

Pressure washing is about the only way to remove paint from masonry.
You still have to be careful since it is possible to damage masonry with a pressure washer.

I can write my name in concrete with mine.

o

The Oops failed.
A pressure washer will remove the patina that has aged for 130 years on the brick, then the rest of the house will look odd.
Please keep the ideas coming I am desperate and upset about this mess.

o

Check with your city (don't know what dept.) or preservation group about what they recommend for graffetti removal. Then make your *$#@! painters use it - under close supervision!

o

I wouldn't let them "fix" it if they were that bad to start with, ask for a discount instead. Why would you risk their incompetence messing up your patina? I had some guys like that try to use a pressure washer and they blew out the masonry joints between the bricks and carved lines in the wood deck.
I have had good success with an extra-strength paint stripper from the hardware store. I brushed it on the painted brick, let it work a while, then scrubbed off the mess with a wire brush. Then wash the residue off with the hose, NOT the pressure washer.
Try a small spot first to see how it affects the patina. And there are several strengths of this stuff, I had to use the industrial. Start with the weakest though.

o

I'd try a wire brush.

o

Get a professional removal service. Chemical is the best as it does the least harm to the brick. Never sandblast!

o

Goof Off worked with a soft bristle brush and lots of elbow grease occasionally rinsing the surface with the garden hose.
The guys got all of the problem spots cleaned up.
Thanks to everyone for the input.

For anyone with this problem in the future, it should probably be noted that the paint was only on there for a few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here