Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What style of architecture is my house?

Posted by alexcp (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 21, 10 at 21:50

It was built around 1896, although the assessor property records say it was built in 1910. It is located north of Boston, in Newburyport, MA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What style of architecture is my house?

Victorian with a bit of Gothic revival/Queen Anne in the form of the truncated turret. Absurd shutters undoubtedly a later "improvement".

o

Simple Greek Revival with modest Victorian embellishments.

o

Yes, I mixed up my Revivals.

But, as with most homes, I doubt the builder/draftsman gave much thought to anything other than, "I like that." After all, what's a "greek revival" without columns?

Greek Revival Pictures, Images and Photos
Greek Revival

o

Most houses are not one pure style or another. They are very often a mish mash of styles. Builders very often took elements that they liked from one house in the neighborhood and added it to the next house they built. They also added things or changed things up depending on what materials were available or offered cheaply.

o

It seems to me that only trained designers, architectural enthusiasts and historians consciously follow certain precedents and show the influences of consistent historical styles. Or at least know when they're breaking and mixing them.

Others just draw and build what comes naturally.

Simpson House Pictures, Images and Photos
724 Evergreen Terrace: What Style is this house?

o

Snout?

o
RE: What style is my house?

Oh, alexcp, I should have clarified that I was answering worthy's question "What Style is this house?"

Your house is charming--I love the bays, and the porch, especially the crisp white rails.

o

mama goose,
Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

o

Alex, it's a fabulous house! How many sq. ft./bedrooms?

o

theresse,
Thanks! It is about 2,066 square feet and has 4 bedrooms.

o

Thanks so much for your help, everybody!
I have one more question. My mom says she's seen a marble plaque with the year "1899" written on it somewhere in the attic (I've never been able to find it). The confusing part is that the property records say it was built in 1910, which I wouldn't normally believe, but the interior moldings look exactly like another house from 1910. Can anyone tell what approximate year it was built?
Thanks,
Alex

P.S. Here is a pic of one of the moldings
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uSdV9Le2GKQ/TESq_aw6VPI/AAAAAAAAABQ/JVo07wXmiHw/s1600/Screen+shot+2010-07-19+at+3.42.54+PM.png

Here is a link that might be useful: interior

o

The picture is kind of small, corner blocks, bulls-eyes or rosettes were used for a long time. My building (c. 1840) has them, while others in the neighborhood up to 1890s have them with slight variations. Around here the millwork tended to be more crisply incised earlier in the 19th century and had a softer more rounded profile more toward 1900.

Also after 1900 the cornerblock started to disappear, being replaced by a more craftsman style lintel across the top of the door, but the corner block may have been used in secondary areas.

This would vary a lot by region. I live in an East Coast urban area that was very fashionable in the 19th century so the trends were ahead of more rural, or other parts of the country.

The records often seem to be wrong about when an older house was built for some reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here