Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfrizzle_gw

Rehabbing Door Hardware

cfrizzle
9 years ago

Hello, old house folks!

We are currently working on rehabbing the interior doors of our 1916 house. The paint is stripped off the doors and partially stripped off the hardware. Before we start to put everything back together I have a few questions about the hardware.

1. The latching hardware (shown in picture on the right). Most of ours are in very bad condition or broken. Is there a way to buy new latching hardware that will fit old door knobs? Or should I try to salvage old ones and/or restore old ones?

2. Once the paint was stripped from the hardware, each piece seemed to have a different patina. Should I roll with it? Is there a good way to clean up the brass even further so that all the pieces look a little more uniform, or even just cleaner? Originally I was thinking I'd spray paint it all with oil-rubbed bronze, now I think I want to leave it bare, but clean it up a bit.

3. All of the hinges have a pink patina and a heart stamped on the back with the initials S.W. in the middle (will try to post a second picture). What does the stamp indicate? Our house is in Central Indiana.

4. Aren't those glass doorknobs so pretty? I'm so excited to have our doors restored with original hardware.

TIA!

This post was edited by cfrizzle on Mon, Jun 23, 14 at 21:34

Comments (11)

• cfrizzle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the heart stamped on the back of the brass hinge. Each hinge has this.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

The latching mech. can be purchased.

To date them; brass body is pre war, steel body during and post war.

The stamp on the hinge is a mfg. mark.

You can use a brass polish, barkeepers friend, automotive polishing compound or compose your own from comet, or jewelers rouge.

Have fun, it's worth it.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

SW= Stanley Works. The symbol goes by "sweet heart". Was used on hardware and tools.
    Those hinges are plated, so polish them lightly. You could send everything out to be re-plated, but the cost is a factor, and from the few times I've had the replating done, the bright (garish) brass doesn't look appropriate next to old woodwork that still bears the marks of character it took so long to gain.
    Check everything with a magnet to verify that it's plated steel; if by chance it's brass/bronze, polish away! Fine steel wool and windex with ammonia gets off the tarnish pretty well, and a fine. soft wire wheel brush with a light touch gives a brushed brass effect. A hard felt polishing wheel and jeweler's rouge gives a final mirror finish. To give a satin brass effect, very lightly steel wool after the rouge wheel. That satin effect looks well in an old house IMO.
    Casey

This post was edited by sombreuil_mongrel on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 8:34

• sacto_diane
    9 years ago

I have the same HW (Stanley works sweetheart logo) and went through the same process. Casey is spot on. I decided to just keep the existing patina on all the HW and not replate. It was an improvement over the painted HW and the patina just adds character. I re-plated a couple of specific pieces on my swinging door in the kitchen with and antique brass finish and it's not the same as the patina on the old HW.

For the mortise locks, you can remove the one screw holding the case together and clean an lube the inside. The mechanism is pretty simple and goes together easily once cleaned. All of my locks were stick with paint and gunk and cleaning helped a lot. Be careful with stripper on the HW. As Casey mentioned they are just plated and some strippers can affect the finish. I removed my paint with the boiling method. Lots of posts here on how to do that.

Diane

• mxyplx
    9 years ago

"To date them; brass body is pre war, steel body during and post war."

Which war?

• jackfre
    9 years ago

I cleaned my hardware up in a "rock tumbler/brass cleaner". I've sent a lot of car parts out for replating and the cost isn't outrageous. You need to find a plater however.

• torigrey
    8 years ago

I have the same hardware from my barn & house. 1832. I boiled them in water for 1hr..then lightly wire brushed them.

• HU-848317
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I got these off an old door.It says November 1889.Not sure if it indicates the age of the hinge itself.

• tim45z10
    8 years ago

Put some vinegar with water when boiling. The paint will come off much easier.

• torigrey
    8 years ago

Thanks..I tried the vinegar in water...worked great!