Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Home Depot and lead

lucillle
9 years ago

For days now I have requested from Home Depot their lead abatement certificate prior to having someone come out and give me estimates for some work.
They've done everything to misunderstand. First they answered that they thought the email was to make an appointment and gave me a phone number. Then they said I had to have a certificate. (That is when I sent them a link to the explanatory EPA page).
Then they said they would look into it but the person who needed to look into it was 'in the field'. I have not heard back from him.
There are a number of older houses in my area. I am hoping that they have a certificate but I'm wondering if they do.
It's a pretty important document, asking for it should not generate this much confusion. I'm hoping that they are not just doing work in the community without the proper training and precautions.

Comments (17)

• ajames54
    9 years ago

In most areas where they operate ( I believe it is everywhere but i don't know that for sure) Home Depot isn't doing the work, they are simply referring you to a contractor... and taking a cut of what is charged. The cert you are asking for is specific to the contractor and until you know who is going to do the work they can't show you a cert.

Granted it would be nice if they were to be honest about it..

You would be better off finding a real licensed plumber rather than relying on HD.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If they had told me that I would have been satisfied and I appreciate hearing it from you.
    But they had no idea and the fact that they said they would look into it and get back to me- and haven't- makes me wonder how they would respond to any service issues that could come up.
    I think I will cancel the estimate and go with people who know what they are doing (or who keep promises when they say they will find out and get back).

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

lucille:

What type of work are you having done?

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Home Depot may sell a lot of mediocre building materials but is not in the home repair or construction business so it is a mistake to expect them to know much about that work especially federal regulations; they often promote state building code violations.

You might do better talking to the people who hang out in the parking lot looking for work.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They did get back to me, I had an email waiting this morning and I am verifying the information given with the EPA. It may be simply a case of employee specialization, the field person who got back to me seems quite knowledgeable, courteous and customer oriented.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

I agree 100% with Reno......

• renovator8
    9 years ago

They probably got someone from the parking lot to talk to you.

• civ_IV_fan
    9 years ago

Lowe's was nailed with a $500,000 fine for not following EPA RRP rules. Home Depot I expect is taking care not to avoid the same fate.

The certificate you want is the EPA RRP Contractor Cert. They should know what you mean when you say lead abatement, but that isn't what they are doing. The RRP Certification is much less rigorous than that to become certified for lead abatement.

In fact, the RRP cert is so easy to obtain that many contractors are barely aware of the rules that they are supposed to follow.

As the homeowner, the most important thing is to make sure that they are laying down one-time use plastic sheeting (not drop cloths) and keeping a very clean worksite. once they start the project, their work boots should not be touching anything on the inside of your home.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

The most important thing is the date the house was built, before or after 1978, when lead paint was banned.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My home was built in 1940

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a contractor that is going to give me a bid, he is measuring the house right now. I asked about the certificate, he knew what I was talking about, he knew how to handle it, what a difference.

This post was edited by lucille on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 15:33

• civ_IV_fan
    9 years ago

Lucille -- Good deal! It's amazing the difference a good contractor makes.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

Be prepared to be shocked at the price. It will NOT be cheap.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The bid was expensive, but quality work with quality materials by someone who knows what he is doing is a worthwhile investment.
    (Just like for you, Christophern, I think I remember that you are a painter, you deserve quality compensation for quality work).
    After all, it is my home, even if it is modest, I want it to be nice. Plus I think I heard that EPA fines for lead issues can amount to $32,000 a DAY.

Home Depot? It was a major deal to get even the most basic answers to simple, relevant questions (the lead issue) as far as my inquiries went.
    Ultimately the 'field' person who I spoke with knew his stuff, but it was a struggle to get to him with many, many emails to get to that point. Concerns about lead is a relevant question, why couldn't I get a straight answer right away?
    And from what I understand from the reviews I have read, having a successful job done through Home Depot can be variable (I've listed a link to some of the reviews I read, note that some are excellent, but some are very poor).

Some of the reviews detail horrendous results but more disturbing is some of the reviews speak of weak efforts to solve problems once the job is paid for, the work performed, and issues arise.

The contractor the other day took the time to give separate bids for the different work I wanted so I could get it done in stages if I chose. The reviews for his company show a much stronger response by the company to any issues, with the owner of the company getting involved in solutions.

I think Civ's comment sums it up "It's amazing the difference a good contractor makes".

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot siding reviews

This post was edited by lucille on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 6:46

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

The bid was expensive, but quality work with quality materials by someone who knows what he is doing is a worthwhile investment.

very true

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

people should understand that home depot, lowes, sears etc
    subcontract to independents. usually not the best in the trades.
    hd lowes & sears adds on a % on top of sub contractor's costs
    to homeowner.

there are horror stories all over the internet about these
    installs.
    developing a relationship directly with trades people is
    the best way IMO to get better quality & pricing.

best of luck.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Energy rater I totally agree with you, I have cancelled my appointment for an estimate with Home Depot even though they promised an additional discount and a manager to handle my estimate.
    I do a lot DIY, but when I need a craftsman for something I can't do, I don't have the time, money,energy or inclination to chance a subcontractor that might not do well.
    Instead of paying a markup to a middleman, I'd rather take the time to find someone good and pay them what they deserve for their craftsmanship, even if it means I don't get everything done at once.