Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Look what's in my walls! Adobe!

Posted by lazygardens (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 21:04

Real mud!

Genuine adobe mud bricks, hiding behind a not-quite built-in armoire I removed so the wall patching could happen. The repair guys will fill any voids with more mud, let it dry, then plaster over it with lime plaster (the old style, real plaster).

There's a closet that must go too, with unknown horrors yet to be revealed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Look what's in my walls! Adobe!

Oh how cool!

We just tore down layers of paneling and drywall to find the walls of the original section of our latest project are log. I am heartbroken I can't leave it exposed, but it's not possible.

o

Lazy, where are you in the country? That's really fascinating. I bet those are some quiet walls!

o

Central New Mexico. the house was built some time before 1885 ... we don't know exactly when, but it appears on an 1885 birds-eye view.

And yes, there's so much mass in the walls that it's an extremely quiet house. Nothing transmits through the walls.

And thermally efficient.

o

Very cool! I'm in Santa Fe, but not fortunate enough to have any real adobe. Enjoy!!!

o

The contractor made a hole in the back of the closet to see what he was getting into ... it's a plastered wall behind the sheetrock of the closet.

There's an odd bumpout, probably was a chimney support, that we're leaving. We can put a closet shelf unit there or shoes or something.

Apparently they just framed in the alcove to make the closet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here