Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raining inside the house during renovation - what next?

Posted by dreamojean (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 20:53

I'm mid-renovation in our 120+ year old brownstone and it rained in the middle of our house last week Thursday night when it was pouring. We had 100+ year old metal ducting removed to make space for closet/fridge space next to the former dumbwaiter, and a roof skylight off the airshaft was removed to make space for exhaust fans from each of 3 floors , plus laundry vent, up to and out the roof. Well, I guess the exhaust fan metal ducting is venting straight up and out of the house with NO COVER/protection - so it was raining into the metal ducting (not yet connected) and around it into the house. Part of the renovation includes pulling off big turbines off our roof, that I think dealt with this problem - they covered the duct work so it didn't rain inside the house, and apparently were rusted through and not sufficiently protective - but do we need new turbines or something?

Dumb question - is that bad Or is that just a "being renovated not fixed yet" thing? I like my contractor and will ask him more about it but thought to ask this forum too.

We are basically taking out an air shaft/skylight in our brownstone which has 3 floors, all with the bathroom and kitchen on the interior of the house with an air shaft and former dumbwaiter between them, in the same place on each floor of the house. Third floor the former dumbwaiter will be a closet and air shaft will house piping for laundry/other appliances. Second floor there will be a fridge where airshaft/dumbwaiter were as we make a bigger kitchen. Ground floor - closet and pipes.

I'm a bit worried about safety, water damage and mold. We're ok now, the house is pretty open but the goal is to make it more efficient and airtight and in that case water will be much more damaging.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raining inside the house during renovation - what next?

Main damages would be anticipated to finishes, plaster and floors.
If it's essentially gutted and no finish floors, no problem, everything will dry without harm. If finish floors are to be kept, you will have problems with moisture trapped between hardwoods and subfloor, chance of mold, but guarantee of cupping.
Old plaster on its own, is mold resistant, and will take a lot of short-term abuse and bounce back. Long term water damage is serious, a single wetting usually fine except to the paint, wallpaper, etc.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here