Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peeling paint

Posted by uncgirl (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 23, 08 at 20:39

Hi! We bought a 107 year old farm house about a year and a half ago. When my husband painted the walls in our downstairs hall (which is the majority of the house)they began to chip and peel within a few months. Since then, he has peeled off the paint and sanded down the areas and repainted them only to have them peel again and again. Is this because of the plaster? The walls are cracked pretty badly all over the house but it's the peeling thats driving us crazy. I'm thinking the best solution is to put up wall paper. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peeling paint

Was he trying to use Latex over an oil based/enamel paint? Won't work unless it's prepped first by either sanding, or being primed first by paint that can transition oil based paint to accepting latex, which will always peel, though the opposite is not true.

o

Have the walls ever been whitewashed or painted with calcimine paint? Both of those will cause peeling, but I don't know what the solution is. I'd hesitate to paper until the peeling mystery is resolved - that may make an even bigger mess!

o

Pics of the peeling paint could help narrow down the culprit.

o

I would suspect that lucy's thought was correct but if it is calcimine( which was normaly done on ceilings) here is an article on that.Either way do not hang paper on top of the problem,as you will just be creating a bigger one.

Here is a link that might be useful: calcimine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here