Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drywell

Posted by fredsoldhouse (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 20:32

Both my current home and the home I am moving to have open pipes coming out of the ground near the downspouts from the gutters. I assume these are some type of drywell. In both cases the former owners have decided not to use them and let the rainwater go right on the lawn. Do drywells eventually fail? Any idea what was common practice when the installed drywells back around 1900 in the Northeast? I'm curious where that pipe ends up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drywell

If it's for excess water runoff, it's likely a brick or block structure filled with gravel. Over time, it will often silt up and be ineffective or later homeowners choose another approach to diverting excess water.

Beware though, that the pipe might also be leading to a graywater dry well, seepage pit, or cesspool. If you plan on disturbing it, it would be worthwhile to have a pro take a look first.

o

If it's for excess water runoff, it's likely a brick or block structure filled with gravel. Over time, it will often silt up and be ineffective or later homeowners choose another approach to diverting excess water.

Beware though, that the pipe might also be leading to a graywater dry well, seepage pit, or cesspool. If you plan on disturbing it, it would be worthwhile to have a pro take a look first.

o

"I assume these are some type of drywell."

Or a drainage path to either a dry-well or daylight.

Dry-wells should be a distance from a basement or foundation.

o

Dry wells sometimes are under the house if they were designed to store rain water collected via gutters for household use.

I've got a lovely, round, double-thick, brick-sided one under what used to be my kitchen. It supplied the pitcher pump and dry sink as recently as 1959. Mine is eight feet in diameter and six feet deep.

It's dry as bone these days as the gutters lead elsewhere, now.

I'm in northern NY in a pre-Civil War farm dwelling.

L.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here