Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fredsoldhouse

Drywell

fredsoldhouse
11 years ago

Both my current home and the home I am moving to have open pipes coming out of the ground near the downspouts from the gutters. I assume these are some type of drywell. In both cases the former owners have decided not to use them and let the rainwater go right on the lawn. Do drywells eventually fail? Any idea what was common practice when the installed drywells back around 1900 in the Northeast? I'm curious where that pipe ends up.

Comments (4)

• worthy
    11 years ago

If it's for excess water runoff, it's likely a brick or block structure filled with gravel. Over time, it will often silt up and be ineffective or later homeowners choose another approach to diverting excess water.

Beware though, that the pipe might also be leading to a graywater dry well, seepage pit, or cesspool. If you plan on disturbing it, it would be worthwhile to have a pro take a look first.

• worthy
    11 years ago

If it's for excess water runoff, it's likely a brick or block structure filled with gravel. Over time, it will often silt up and be ineffective or later homeowners choose another approach to diverting excess water.

Beware though, that the pipe might also be leading to a graywater dry well, seepage pit, or cesspool. If you plan on disturbing it, it would be worthwhile to have a pro take a look first.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"I assume these are some type of drywell."

Or a drainage path to either a dry-well or daylight.

Dry-wells should be a distance from a basement or foundation.

• liriodendron
    11 years ago

Dry wells sometimes are under the house if they were designed to store rain water collected via gutters for household use.

I've got a lovely, round, double-thick, brick-sided one under what used to be my kitchen. It supplied the pitcher pump and dry sink as recently as 1959. Mine is eight feet in diameter and six feet deep.

It's dry as bone these days as the gutters lead elsewhere, now.

I'm in northern NY in a pre-Civil War farm dwelling.

L.