Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on new pine floors

Posted by coco_loco (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 08 at 20:05

I just installed brand new pine planked flooring and am uncertain whether I should stain it or just apply the poly finish. I would like to achieve a honey like color. Should I go with the stain or just apply the poly finish, be patient and wait the natural tones to come through, and if so how long does it take for that to happen? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on new pine floors

Pine takes stain unevenly without a wood conditioner. But, it sounds like all you need is an oil base poly to get a light golden tone.

o

Yeah, make sure it's oil based--the water based won't go very golden.

Carla in Sac

o

I would look at a marine spar varnish; much more durable than poly.
Diane

o

We used repairable Land Ark oil system on our wide pine plank floors. You can sand a spot or just clean it and put some more oil on and it is fixed. They have pigment you add and it goes on with the oil. I think once we picked a color we mixed it 1 part color to 4 parts oil. This is an all natural finish i.e. food safe. All pure ingredients.
Others have used Waterlox and I believe the first coat of it you can add color also so you get an even spread of the color.

o

We used Waterlox and after two years, they are darkening quite nicley. I would totally recommend it. Plus, we can reapply the finish wothout sanding too deeply. Cannot do that with Poly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here