Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
htracey_gw

Look what just showed up in the local housing market...

htracey
12 years ago

... if only I had $640,000. I have admired this house for as long as I can remember. I always hoped I would be much more advanced in my career when it finally went on the market. Click on "more" to see all the pics.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=10425778&PidKey=-1246049171

Comments (17)

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

does anybody know how I can make the link work without having to copy and paste it?

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Put it in the box that says Optional Link URL and Name it in the box below that

Here is a link that might be useful: House

• renovator8
    12 years ago

You can do that when originally posting your message but only when you are previewing it.

• worthy
    12 years ago

62 Parks St., St. John, N.B. Canada

Looks incredible. But it's in an unprepossessing part of town at an awkward corner. And the front door doesn't face the street, but what most people might consider the backyard. I wouldn't be surprised if the home was once on a much larger property.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

All the vines are very likely to have resulted in significant moisture damage that will take a lot of work to correct.

Caveat emptor.

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually, the houses on Mount Pleasent are some of the most historical, not to mention wealthy in the city. Do you know the area?

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

That's alotta house! Flipping through the pictures of the interiors, it almost looks like four or five different houses in one. What's with the basement bedroom with the ceiling the bisects the windows? And the little stone wall room with the stove?

Waiting for palimpsest to come along . . . this is his kind of place.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

What an incredible palazzo!
    The vine is probably Boston ivy with minimal damage to the stonework.
    Casey

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just keep telling myself the dog would have to get a job too just to heat it in the winter... not that he has a tonne of other stuff on his plate to worry about..

• jonnyp
    12 years ago

Undoubtedly a beautiful house at a great price. Only problem is getting there. I vacationed in Moncton N.B.last summer, 9 hours from Boston (1 hr NE of St. John) A flight probably just as long, nothing direct from this neck of the woods, as they say in down Maine "you can't get there from here" And I hate to say this but is almost USA but it ain't.

• worthy
    12 years ago

the houses on Mount Pleasent are some of the most historical, not to mention wealthy in the city.

62 Parks St. to left, overlooks a number of low rise apartments and parking lots.

The road on the other side is also lined with low rise rentals and cars/pickups parking on muddy lots just off the road.

The last time I was in New Brunswick was 48 years ago. Looks about the same. Not many more people either. All gone "down the road."

As the average sale price of homes in St. John was$183 922 in April this year, aren't the vendors really stretching it?

• htracey
    Original Author
    12 years ago

One of the most characteristic aspects of saint john is that one street may be beautiful & full of historic homes, while the next is rundown and tired. It is quite literally a street to street situation. I have lived in Saint John all my life, and my favorite thing about this city is that its such a mixed dynamic - no gated communities, no pockets of snobby upperclass. Its very much a working class city.

Based on the value of the other houses on this street, $600k is NOT a stretch... trust me!

Worthy, I find your "down the road" comment about a city you haven't spent any time in in 48 years a bit judgemental.

• worthy
    12 years ago

a bit judgemental

No, history.

Outmigration from the three Maritime provinces has been a fact of life since shortly after Confederation. Between 1871-1901, the Maritime population declined by 264,000 out of a total of 894,000. To this day, slow growth and outmigration continue. According to the Population Growth Secretariat, New Brunswick "is at a critical point [2008] in its history. The province is experiencing the longest period of sustained decline since the great depression."

Goin' Down the Road is the stellar Don Shebib movie of 1970 chronicling the archtypical struggles of two Maritimers drawn to the big city lights of Tronno.

(For movie geeks only, both Joey (Paul Bradley) and his flame, Betty (Cayle Chernin) are gone; Cayle died this February, shortly after shooting the long-awaited sequel, Down the Road Again, not yet released.)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"The vine is probably Boston ivy with minimal damage to the stonework."

Except for freezing damage from excess moisture.

The place is far enough North to not have repeated cycled during the winter, but even one cycle a year can cause long term damage.

• krycek1984
    12 years ago

Some people are so rude.

• tjt78
    12 years ago

I know nothing about the place, don't know anything anyone is talking about, but it looks beautiful to me! Like a castle!

• jonnyp
    12 years ago

Look what just showed up in the local housing market.Similar,
    but a little to rich for my blood

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/slideshow/realestate/28335761/detail.html