Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norar_il

House foundation

norar_il
9 years ago

We live in a house built around the turn of the 20th century -- essentially an old farm house. Most of the foundation is brick, but the kitchen/downstairs bath were built on sometime later. They have no brick under the edges of the rooms -- just open to the air. Since we're in the Midwest and the open foundation is on the north side, it is not a good thing. A few years ago we did have someone supposedly fix the situation, but all they did was put a blue foam insulation around the area. That is now knocked askew, so there is essentially nothing between our floor and the elements.

After last year's horrible winter and water pipes freezing several times, I need a permanent solution. When we first moved here, we put straw bales around that part of the house. It worked, but I'm not really into that look!

How do we fix? I know it needs to be closed in but I don't know how it needs to be done. Should it be dug out and concrete blocks installed with insulation behind them? Can that be done?

I know there are a lot of old house people here and am hoping some of you have faced a similar dilemma and can give me some ideas.

Comments (8)