Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House foundation

Posted by norar_il (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 19:44

We live in a house built around the turn of the 20th century -- essentially an old farm house. Most of the foundation is brick, but the kitchen/downstairs bath were built on sometime later. They have no brick under the edges of the rooms -- just open to the air. Since we're in the Midwest and the open foundation is on the north side, it is not a good thing. A few years ago we did have someone supposedly fix the situation, but all they did was put a blue foam insulation around the area. That is now knocked askew, so there is essentially nothing between our floor and the elements.

After last year's horrible winter and water pipes freezing several times, I need a permanent solution. When we first moved here, we put straw bales around that part of the house. It worked, but I'm not really into that look!

How do we fix? I know it needs to be closed in but I don't know how it needs to be done. Should it be dug out and concrete blocks installed with insulation behind them? Can that be done?

I know there are a lot of old house people here and am hoping some of you have faced a similar dilemma and can give me some ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House foundation

How large is the distance from the dirt to the bottom of the floor joists?

o

I went out and measured and it's about 6 inches.

o

Pics would help. For instance, I don't understand how there could be any plumbing in the space you describe. I've seen some low crawls--but not six inches!

o

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have essentially the same problem with a couple of added rooms on my house. In my case there's also no foundation and minimal space below. The siding comes down to soil level. The floors are COLD and it seems like a rot/insect problem waiting to happen. I'm interested to hear what folks would recommend.

o

So this would be a house on piers. If there's any access at all, foam board or spray foam under the flooring would be effective. But the foam should be at lest six inches above the ground, to prevent it from serving as a hidden route for termites.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Jul 9, 14 at 16:00

o

In my case there is nothing down to the ground. The ground is dug out a bit beneath the rooms to allow space for the plumbing. However that dug out part isn't even deep enough to call it a crawl space.

o

Insulating below the floor is a good idea. But if the space is open (as norar_il has, or if we were to remove the siding that's in contact with the ground), then animals could get in, too. I was hoping someone would have suggestions on how to enclose it with brick or blocks or something. Any advice?

o

Yes this is really a major problem, in rainy season also you will face problems because some type of animals will be easily enter into your home. So you have to take a quick measure to solve this problem and my suggestion is to contact best contractors for home improvement and search through online also having lot of websites for home improvement.

Here is a link that might be useful: luxury beachfront villas st.kitts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here