Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drilling main support beam

Posted by Old_Home_Lover (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 19:39

We are rewiring and when we got to the oldest part of the house we discovered that the walls of all the lower floor rooms rest on four main support beams that run in sort of a plus shape. So basically this rules out wiring on one wall of every downstairs room unless it is safe to drill into the beams.

What I have read on DIY forums is you can drill through horizontally but never vertically which is what we would need to access the inside of the walls. Then I got to thinking that these folks are all talking about 2x6 or 2x8 beams where of course a vertical hole would take out half the board. But my supports are 10x10 solid cedar beams.

Now I am taking into consideration that two stories of 12 foot plaster walls sit on these but it seems that one or two 1/2 inch holes in each beam would be okay. Anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drilling main support beam

A couple of holes this size will not affect the integrity of the beam. Be sure and fire block the holes, however.

o
RE: Drilling main support beam

Vertical holes through structural wood members are a completely different matter than horizontal holes. And exactly where in the beams you are planning to drill can greatly affect the carrying support of the beams.

This explanation by a structural engineer answering a similar question explores the issues.

This post was edited by worthy on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 23:22

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here