Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joker_girl

Odd Roofline, How Would A Person Even Change Such A Thing.

Joker_Girl
9 years ago

Here is my very, very wonderful, much loved, house that we purchased early this spring.

I was afraid to buy it at first, having never owned an old house, but having always wanted one. I second guessed the decision repeatedly, because things tend to screw up for me.

My only mistake in buying this house was that I did not buy it sooner. Hubby and I have been here since March, and are beyond happy. I cannot stress enough how absolutely, totally, and completely in love with my house I am. Sometimes, when I'm alone in it, I tell it. Lol. Ends up, it's older than I thought....1869 vs 1884. And that's okay, because I loved it either way.

The only actual construction it needs is the porch needs jacked up, footings poured under it, and set back down, and the floor of it has some rot as do two pillars, right at the bottom. I've relented to allow the floor of it to be replaced with new, on the condition that the boards be removed rather than ripped up, so I can reuse them (I'll figure out for what later, but they are NOT getting destroyed.) The pillars, I refuse to budge on, insisting the pillars MUST be used, even if part of the bottom couple inches on two must be cut out and pieced in. The construction guy suggested replacing them, and I had an absolute COW, and so they are staying. I DO want it fixed so that a person can go out on the top of that porch again, with the iron railing I'm sure was there at one time.

For an italianate, it has a strange kind of roof line. There is almost no overhang, and there are no corbels. There is some kind of tin flashing around the top, right up to the roof. It's brick behind it. The whole thing is brick, basement to attic. THREE layers thick. It might survive a nuclear war.

The roof is brand new in 2009-2010, and presumably that is when this change was made. The carriage house and garage all have the same roof...red shingles, hipped roof, little to no overhang.

How would a person even go about changing it back? Is it even possible? We certainly don't need a new roof now, but if the day ever comes....could they somehow take it back to the way it would have been before? (With the corbel/brackets)?

Why would they have changed it, would you suppose?

Comments (9)

• Joker_Girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We took out those half dead bushes, too....SO much better! I have all these flowers planted, it's so pretty.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

Do you have historical photos showing how it used to look?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" I've relented to allow the floor of it to be replaced with newâ¦"

Joker_Girl:

Your floor is probably old growth lumber with amazingly tight growth rings. The replacement will probably be plantation pine planted 30 years ago for harvest. They aren't remotely comparable.

Yes, your old growth is probably covered in lead based paint, but that's not a problem unless you let your kids chew on the floorboards. Lead made excellent paint.

Your contractor is trying to save himself time and money. Your floorboards are irreplaceable. Don't let him get away with this, please.

• Joker_Girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, this is the stuff that is the flooring of the porch, and it was not kept well painted, and so the edges have rot, and if you kind of bounce up and down in places, it kind of sags.

Do you suppose that, too, would be salvageable, if it were braced underneath? It isn't very thick.

The floors in the house are GORGEOUS under their unfortunate layers of paint. We have scraped some of the paint that is loose off. I was thinking about renting one of those big sanders to get it off there, but knowing me, I would be better off hiring this done, because I would take forever.

Almost all the trim is painted white. I hated it at first, but am learning to live with it, because getting all this woodwork stripped and sanded would be a tremendous job.

There is some really ugly carpet in places, too. On the back stairs (which we never really use, anyway), I lifted up the old indoor outdoor carpet covering them, and one of them has a mouse hole you can see clear down into the basement lol! So, I set it back down. They're sturdy, though.

The inside of some of the doors is quarter sawn. I sure wish they wouldn't have painted them. Just beautiful where it's not painted.

Unbelievably gorgeous brass hardware everywhere, including a circa 1869 doorbell. The previous owner stated they had intended to replace the front double door and transom window. Thank you, God, for somehow this not having happened. What a tragedy that would have been.

• Joker_Girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a nearly identical house in my same town, credited to the same builder (or so I'm told), and I imagine this is what our roof was like prior to this odd change.

• worthy
    9 years ago

I was thinking about renting one of those big sanders to get it [paint] off there...

I could be an alarmist. But just maybe clouds of lead-laden dust might not be the best thing for your health. Even so-called intact lead paint poses dangers, according to the authorities we alarmists rely on.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Using a stripper meant for floors - one that will encapsulate the lead - would be much better for you.

As for the roof ... a roofer with NO experience in old houses.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

My guess is that you roof/cornice which had built in "box gutters" was so under-maintained that it caused the entire cornice to rot out, and based on the estimates for properly replacing it, the decision-maker went with the least aesthetic/lowest-cost option, which involved screwing up the appearance. Replicating millwork like that , not to mention box gutters, is in the hundreds of dollars per foot range.
    Casey

• Joker_Girl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You're right....they definitely took the easy and cheap way out.

The roof doesn't leak and is functional, so for right now, I will probably live with it, because there are other things that need attention more....such as the porch, assorted repairs, paint, wallpapering, getting rid of these horrible dropped ceilings, etc. Taking out nasty stained up carpet and sanding or stripping the floors. (One bedroom actually has painted purple floors.)

I will probably at some point try to figure out a way to replicate what it SHOULD look like, even though it will be expensive. There is an abandoned, or at least unloved, unoccupied italianate a few blocks away, that the previous owner of this house said the same builder did both our house and it (and several others around here....all similar). It's beyond repair, but if I could find out who owns it, maybe they would sell me some things.

I hate to see my house's "sister" rot away.

I think the corbels and painted trim are important for this style, and will do what I can. I doubt I could afford box gutters put in around the entire perimeter, but I could be wrong. And I don't think it's really the kind of thing you can do a little at a time.

It's not the only weird thing here. Some of my glass transom windows are painted white. Including the glass. Why. Lol.