Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
was this a "folk victorian?"

Posted by elleninmaine (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 17:45

house in saratoga springs ny was built in late 1890's. am wondering if side porch was added later. think there was a front porch which will return.

renovation has just begun.

any all all thoughts most welcome. thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: was this a "folk victorian?"

here's current status with old porches removed. side porch will be rebuilt and become part of downstairs space.

o

I don't know anything about your question, but that is a cool house. Kind of jealous that you get to renovate it! : )

o

The basic form is a Folk Style I-House with porches, some of which may have been added later. What would make it a Folk Victorian is exterior trim under the rake, eaves and on the porch columns and eaves but there is no evidence of that; however the porches appear to have been enclosed so the Victorian trim might have been removed.

o

thanks renovator8 (and carol!)
seems these folk victorian houses were painted in bright colors.
sadly the vinyl siding comes only in what i call muddy tones.
am thinking the best is quest fern shore green.
house trim has to be white to match garage.
other ideas most welcome. really don't want plain white house but white with colored trim seems busy to me. advice????!!!!

o

This is going to be a beautiful house! A shade of green would be nice, as would a grey which you could spice up with painting the trim brighter colors. I can't see what kind of gutters you have on your house (if you have them), but have you considered getting bronze/copper color metal gutters? Aluminum, I think, I was reading about them in another thread. They would look beautiful on your house and could help you decide on a siding color, too.

o

Thanks Emoree No gutters but think front
Porch and side addition will have a metal roof
So will look at the metal colors you suggested
Thanks

o

A metal roof will be so wonderful! They give so much character to a house. Good luck with the renovation!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here