Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
masonry advice, please!

Posted by lachase (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 17:22

We have a not so great house in a not the best neighborhood and it has been one thing after another wrong since we moved in some years ago. It has a walkout basement and the lower half of the house is sided in old reclaimed brick that in the front of the house has started pulling away from the wall. We just had one contractor give a bid for about 2K to put 1/4"X7 anchor bolts around the house to hold the brick that hasn't come loose and recommended that we rip off the other brick (ourselves) and re-side (ourselves).
Does this sound like a reasonable fix and reasonable cost? I have to admit, I was shocked at the price and didn't expect it to be that high. We don't have a clue how to proceed and would like your expertise to let us know if it is a logical and reasonably priced and adequate repair. I don't want this to just be a temporary fix as I'm sure we will have more problems to tackle here. We would like to have other bids and not just this one contractors bid, but getting a contractor to even come out to look at the problem is like pulling the tooth of a spider. Thanks for any advice; I REALLY appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: masonry advice, please!

I'd ask neighbors & long time residents for recommendations for a mason. Word-of-mouth is priceless in some inner-city neighborhoods. Sometimes you wind up with people who enjoy & specialize in working on old houses & even better if they live in the area.

o
RE: masonry advice, please!

That happened to me too. You need to consider what's causing the brick to pull away, so that you solve that problem with your fix. In my case, the brick started coming away from the wall along the front of my house, in KCMO, due to settling pressure. I paid a mason to re-brick it, as a side job, on his evenings and weekends. It took about a month and I paid about a thousand dollars per 50 square foot section (three sections). I looked at the anchors and chose to re-brick instead, tho it was more. The guy was referred to me by a satisfied customer. Antiquesilver's right, ask around, ask homeowners, reputable realtors, other tradesmen who are good. They know who else is good in different fields. I have some experience remodeling and flipping houses and I always find it's worth it to pay more for a quality job that will last. (And to get guys who will show up and finish on time.) Think long and hard about siding, because cheaper siding, like vinyl, can actually hurt your home's value. Brick is one of the most valuable, long-lasting materials, and returns more on a house than most other sidings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here