Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Priming old shutters - what product?

Posted by graywings (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 16:08

What would you use as a primer for 100 year old wood shutters that are a combination of bare wood, old oil-based paint, and roughly 10 year old latex paint? The latex is only on the fronts and sides. The backs haven't been touched in decades. I'm dealing with the peeling paint as best I can, but not completely in the crevices, especially on the backs.

I'm thinking one of these:

Slow drying oil primer (my original choice until I realized I couldn't strip them completely)
B-I-N shellac
Peel Stop

Or is there something else?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Priming old shutters - what product?

Alkyd (oil) primer would be preferred, especially for old wood on exterior uses.

Try to scrape as much of the latex off as possible.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 16:47

o

I agree with brickeyee - a good alkyd based primer is really the only way to penetrate seasoned wood.

Pigmented shellacs are always tempting because they also penetrate well, and dry in 15 minutes. However, shellac can crack in really cold weather.

If possible, strip to bear wood. You never know what has been done in the past. Shutters can be tough, but because they are seasoned wood, you could remove the paint using steam.

o

slow dry oil for sure
sw or bm both make good ones

o

OK, that was easy. Thanks.

o

Strongly suggest using steam; it works really well on tricky, crevice-y surfaces. You'll still need to go over them with a variety of sharp knives, but at least the paint will be soft.

L.

o

Wait, wait, wait... please back up. I need to do my louvered shutters too. What are the steps? Are you taking them down? Doing any stripping? Help! Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here