Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Porch Flooring?

Posted by columbusguy1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 15:52

Maybe this is dumb, but I'm puzzled. I need to replace some of my tongue-and-groove porch flooring, and what I found at a lumberyard was what I'd call beadboard, rather than flooring. It is under an inch thick, one side is flat, the other has a v groove down the center and at each side--what I need is real porch flooring, not decking material or bead board.
Now, my porch flooring is single boards, with t and g joints between, and I'd swear it looks exactly like my interior oak flooring!
Was it likely that in 1908 the same type of flooring was used outside--that is, t and g strip flooring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Porch Flooring?

My 1858 porches seemed to be the same as the inside (5/4 T&G heart pine) and we replaced it with the same thickness T&G, although not in heart pine.

o

The entire porch floor was *just* replaced on my house! Only one of the local lumberyards carried the 5/4 t&g flooring (fir), so just keep looking until you find it.

It does look beautiful -- very much like the interior oak flooring! They recommended Wolman's Finish to protect it, and said to apply it to all sides (especially the t&g) before installing. That was my job, and I used 'natural'. :) Here it is! I still need to apply the 2nd coat...
Photobucket

o

@party music 05 ~ your flooring looks beautiful!
We had our front porch remodeled last summer. The floor was replaced with doug fur t & g that is (I'm guessing) about 1/2 inch thikness. It was originally at least 1 inch thick... I wish we could have replaced with something thicker but it was going to cost far too much to aquire... It looks nice, but walking on it you can feel the difference. Good luck and make sure you get something you will be happy with!

o

Thanks for the information, and the pics are wonderful party!
I suppose that traffic wear is the only reason I need to replace the flooring in front of the door--the rest is fine. :) I plan on painting it grey as it is now, so I'm hoping for an inexpensive grade of wood. What the real problem is will be revealed when I take up the damaged flooring--I am 90% sure the joists need sistering or something, since there is a definite dip in the level.
On a side note re flooring--my interior floors do not have subflooring--my oak is laid directly across the joists--confirmed when I cut a new hole for a register in the living room!
My porch columns are square and fluted, wish I could find matching lumber to remake my mini-columns on my steps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here