Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dilettante_gw

What to do about old doors with split panels?

dilettante_gw
11 years ago

My house was built about 1870 and has 4-panel rail-and-stile pine doors. The panels are raised, not flat, and have a 2 over 2 configuration (rather than 4 horizontal panels). Many of the doors have at least one panel that is split because the PO didn't know how to paint doors with floating panels.

I'd like to replace the worst of them at least, but I can't find anyone who makes doors that would be a close enough match, and so far, I haven't had any luck finding matching salvaged doors. I'm sure similar antique doors must exist, but the architectural salvage places I've gone to don't have their inventory on computer and weren't very helpful. I've looked at several door catalogs, but the proportions of their typical 4-panel doors are different. Mine have longer top panels that extend a couple of inches below the doorknob, so the cross-rail is lower. Most new doors have the cross-rail at the doorknob height. Also, the raised panels on mine are not very pronounced.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to repair them, or at least make them look better, and if so, how? I've stripped a couple of them, but the panels don't move at all, so I can't glue the panels closed. (Probably too much gunk left in the crevices, but there's no way to remove it.) A friend suggested filling the cracks with silicone, which would at least be flexible. Is that a good idea? Does it matter what kind of primer and paint I use?

2. Does anyone know of a vendor that makes reasonably-priced wood doors that might match (or at least be close)?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm in the Boston area, in case anyone knows some local resources.

Comments (5)