Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mounting a TV in unknown wall material

Posted by wootenjs (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 6, 10 at 14:51

We just moved into a pretty old house and I want to mount my TV in the wall, I'm just not sure what the house is built from and how to find the studs. I drove a short nail in a lot of different places. About 3/4 inches in, I kept hitting something that seemed really solid, like I would be able to mount my TV on. However, I kept hitting it everywhere I ran into, so I'm assuming its not the studs. It's a 32inch TV, and I'd love to know how to find the studs and what's going on behind the walls, I'm assuming its plaster. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mounting a TV in unknown wall material

Is the wall interior or exterior?

Is the house masonry or frame?

Old masonry houses may have no studs in exterior wall.
The plaster is directly on special brick.

Try removing a receptacle plate in the wall and looking between the box and plaster to see how the wall is built.

o

pretty old

Like Sophia Loren old? Or Sarah Bernhardt? Maybe Cher?

o

Pretty old could mean 1800s instead of 1700s.

There are still a few around Northern Virginia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here