Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small round vents...

Posted by justducky22 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 14:35

Hello everyone! I was doing some yard work this past weekend and noticed that there are these small round vents in my wood siding between the first and second floor. Anyone know what these are for? I did notice them when we first moved in but forgot about them until now. I have read that they could be holes from blown in insulation. I don't know...the previous owners were pretty detailed in all the improvements they had done but I guess anything is possible. Oh, it might or might not help to know that the vents are only on the left & right sides of the house...none in the front or back. Not a big deal, just curious. Any ideas? The house was built in 1928. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small round vents...

Are they regularly spaced? All in the same row of siding? How big are they?

It sounds like caps for insulation holes, but without the above info, it could be anything.

o

Are they louvered vents or just plugs?

o

My house had cellulose blown in my first summer owning it, back in '88--the holes are covered with plastic caps. I bought some louvered ones to replace them, as I read that some ventilation was needed, but I never put them all in.

Should I replace them all with louvered ones?

o

Vents can allow moisture to escape from the wall to the dry outside air (if the wall is wet) but they can also allow moisture from humid air and rain to get into the wall. Unless they are pencil sized and angled upward under the lap of clapboard siding I wouldn't recommend using them. The 3/4" to 2" sized vents are fine in exterior soffits.

o

Yes, they seem pretty evenly spaced on the same row of siding. They appear to be 2" or maybe a little bigger and yes, they are louvered.

o

Definitely sound like holes for insulation then...but I thought there should be more than one row per floor, as mine are done?

My house is from 1908, so I assume it's balloon-framed, but two rows each floor to account for fire-blocking?

o

"My house is from 1908, so I assume it's balloon-framed, but two rows each floor to account for fire-blocking?"

There may not be any blocking.
That was one of the overall weaknesses of balloon framing.
Many places had chimneys from foundation to roof in every exterior wall.

o

Fire blocking, when used, normally occurs at the ceiling line.

o

Thanks brickeyee and Ren, I thought I'd seen it in some old houses on tv about half-way up...wish I had an infrared camera to see inside my walls, because I think there are spots missing the insulation! If I knew where, I could fill those spots myself...but I can't afford to buy one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here