Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water rinse paint stripper? Ever heard of it????

Posted by heidibells (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 08 at 14:17

I want to try it on our porch floor to get rid of the hundreds of layers of paint (looks something like a jaw-breaker) BUT...I can't remember what it was called.

I am going to Home Depot to see if they know what it is.

If I do find the product, has anyone here used it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water rinse paint stripper? Ever heard of it????

If you mean SoyGel, then yes, I've used it. Home Depot doesn't sell it. You can buy it online from FranMar or the Real Milk Paint Co.

It works fine on most paints, providing you give it time to do the job. I think it's not so hot on calcimine, but then, what is? Since you're working on a floor, you can cover it with plastic wrap to keep it wet and working. You still have to scrape up the loosened paint to get it off, but then you rinse with water.

It's not ghastly to breathe like solvent based strippers, but I still handle it and the resulting goo with care - I use gloves and dispose of it carefully. IIRC, it has some spontaneous combustion possiblity on rags, so keep that in mind.

It's a bit pricier than the solvents, but I like that it's made from plants and doesn't kill off you lungs, so it's worth it for me.

Molly

o

Soy Gel is one of the nontoxic paint strippers. There are others that are based on oranges. They all work quite well, won't hurt your lungs, and won't hurt the atmosphere either. Both were used in our house last year for stripping paint, old shiny shellac, and even old wood floor finish. Lovely results! Definitely worth the extra cost. You don't want that toxic stuff anywhere near your family.

o

Plain water+scrub brush is great for calcimine.
"Peel Away Original" would also be pretty good for an exterior floor.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here