Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plaster or...

Posted by justducky22 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 28, 10 at 14:06

We purchased our 1928 home about a year ago and are still trying to figure this out. I know that most of the walls in the home are still plaster but we are having trouble with the living room and dining room areas. The dining room being the worst. Someone actually stapled the ceiling! It looks like some kind of paper or something. I did not think that plaster had a paper layer? It almost looks like someone put wall paper on the ceiling. In the living room, there are spots on the walls (where they meet the moulding) that have bubbles? I will try to post a picture later so you all can see what I am talking about. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plaster or...

It would be very hard to get staples to penetrate into plaster, and there would likely be a lot of flaking and damage to the surface.

They will go into drywall rather easily.

If there are any electric boxes in the ceiling you can look at the edges of the hole for them to see how the ceiling was finished.

An ice pick or scratch awl would also tell, though with slight damage to drywall (a tiny hole).

It does not take much effort to drive either into drywall (and even all the way through) while you will hardly leave a mark on plaster without hammering on the ice pick.

o

Wall covering on the ceilings in this time period were very common. Staples? I do not understand that.

o

I was also thinking that it was some kind of wallpaper or something. I am afraid to yank the staples as we are not ready to tackle that room yet and don't know what they are holding up. Yeah, I don't get the staples either. I am hoping to find the batteries to my camera today so you can see what I am seeing. Thanks for the replies!

o

I remember working in a house from the late 1920s removing painted over wallpaper from a large living and dining room.

The paint was even alkyd (oil) and a very dark green.

By the time we razor scraped the walls then went about steaming off the last layer of the paper the ceiling paper was falling in entire strips across the length of the rooms (over 20 feet).

Good luck figuring out what is up there.

It often takes some detective work to discover what has been done to old ceilings and walls over the life of an older house.

o

My upstairs ceiling has a layer of sanded spackle or plaster over a layer of 19th c. ceiling paper on an 1840 plaster ceiling.

o

By the time we razor scraped the walls then went about steaming off the last layer of the paper the ceiling paper was falling in entire strips across the length of the rooms (over 20 feet).

That happens more often than not.

o

I'm guessing the glue let go, perhaps due to a leak, and someone stapled the wallpaper back up.

KarinL

o

I'm guessing the glue let go, perhaps due to a leak, and someone stapled the wallpaper back up.
KarinL

Tht's probably exactly it. I still don't get how the staples stuck in the plaster though.

o

If the staples follow a grid pattern 1 foot square or 1x2 feet, it would be ceiling tiles. Long staples could have been enough to just hit the lath; if it was lime plaster it may have been soft enough to get a staple through.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here