Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Accurate' porch on this 1914 House?

Posted by kdw72697 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 13:52

Hi Old House Folks,

This Old House is up for sale in my area. I've always admired it when driving past, and my kids call it "the house with eyes".

I love the dual stone chimneys and the eyebrow windows, but there is something about the front porch that bugs me. It seems "off" somehow, like it was altered or added on at a later time.

Are any of you familiar with his type of architecture and able to venture a guess as to what the entryway might have looked like in 1914?

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/40-Hopper-Ave_Pequannock-Twp_NJ_07444_M60942-65126?source=web

The shape of the house reminded me of a Sears House, The Hamilton:
http://www.searsarchives.com/homes/1908-1914.htm

It sure is tempting, although the many "surprises" it might have in its 100-year-old walls scare me...a little. I've survived one old house, not sure I could survive a BIGGER one! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: 1914 house with eyebrows

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Accurate' porch on this 1914 House?

I think it pretty easily could have looked like that although it may have also had a balustrade around the roof.

o
the porch roof

On the porch roof I meant

o
RE: 'Accurate' porch on this 1914 House?

Hmmm, I can imagine that. Thanks!

Friends of ours lived here briefly years ago, so we've had the chance to peek inside. I don't know why they did not take listing pictures of the gorgeous original staircase, built-ins, trim, and fireplaces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here