Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flyingtim01

What did I do?

flyingtim01
10 years ago

My wife and I purchased a house built in 1910 a little over a year ago. The PO (an elderly woman) at some point planted some low shrubs right up against the house, and for untold years, held moisture right up against the side of the house.

At the same time, one of the downspouts apparently fell off the side of the house and was never re-attached. However, the elbow on the end of the gutter was still firmly in place, directing all rain water to the side of the house.

Consequently, much of the siding was completely rotten. When I pulled the siding off, I could see that a lot of the sheathing was also rotten. Luckily, I had some reclaimed 3/4" t&g pine (an exact replica of what was on there) to resheet that section with, and did so.

However, when I went to the hardware store, they were out of tar paper. The kid there recommended ice & water shield as an upgrade. I was hot, tired, and annoyed that they didn't have a single roll of 30 lb felt, so I took this roll of ice and water shield, and before I could really think about what I was doing, it was up over the sheathing, and I had installed an entire bundle of cedar clapboards over it.

So, how badly did I screw up? I feel like the ice & water shield is going to trap any moisture inside the wall and start rotting it from the inside out now, instead of the outside in. Is there anything I can do, short of tearing the siding off and starting over with regular old felt paper?

The inside of this wall (its about 12' long, 8' high) is half mudroom (unheated) and half kitchen (uninsulated).

Comments (11)

• worthy
    10 years ago

I feel like the ice & water shield is going to trap any moisture inside the wall and start rotting it from the inside out...

Correct.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 11:32

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Is there anything I can do, short of tearing the siding off and starting over with regular old felt paper?

Not really!

This post was edited by millworkman on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 15:57

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

Feel free to use 15 lb. felt, #30 is for roofs. Even red rosin paper would have been all right in this application. Or Tyvek, Typar, Lo-vek (facetious appelation for Lowes house brand), etc..
    Casey

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

I agree, I'm sorry but it has to come off and be replaced.

It will never be easier than now, so might as well get 'er done.

I'm not suggesting you might, er, cough, cough, postpone this fairly urgent fix, but it you do, I would make sure that those walsl on the inside were painted (before winter) with vapor blocking paint. Won't eliminate the problem, but might mitigate, in a small way, the issue. Short-term.

Worst is, the Ice shield costs a lot more compared to plain rosin or felt paper. They don't call these houses money pits for no reason.

It would be an interesting thread to ask folks who've lived and learned on their old houses what really bone-headed mistakes they've inflicted on their buildings. None of us was born knowing the right, smart, correct, or perfect way to do things. None of us!

I usualy end my posts, "HTH", for Hope That Helps.

In this case, I hope that my last paragrpah does help you realize we've all BTDT.

L.

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

A question, what is the difference between laying snow and ice on the wood sheathing on the entire roof and the entire exterior wall as was done in this case?

Lets assume there is no attic with a vaulted ceiling.

• flyingtim01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I suppose the silver lining is that brand new siding should come off a little easier than the old siding. Any tips to minimize breakage, other than just go easy and pry gently?

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Since that layer behind the shingles is the actual drainage plane, rosin paper would NOT be suitable.

Tar paper (or another water barrier tat is NOT a vapor barrier) is needed.

'15#' tar paper still strikes the correct balance.

• worthy
    10 years ago

what is the difference between laying snow and ice on the wood sheathing on the entire roof and the entire exterior wall as was done in this case?

In a vented attic, there is little or no temperature difference, so no vapour drive.

See here for question and answer identical to the original question.

Interestingly, there is a role for I&W Shield on exterior walls as part of the PERSIST insulation system.

This post was edited by worthy on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 16:41

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

Resin paper would work only if the siding was the actual water shedding layer. It's not. The sheathing is the water shedding layer. The siding is just decoration, and some protection for the felt paper or house wrap that is the water proof medium.

I don't know how extensive the siding patch is, but I suspect that if it is not too big it could be left in place with a minimum risk of damage. There is vapor pressure on an exterior wall, unlike a well-ventilated roof, but most likely the vapor will bypass a small impervious area without ill effect.

Not the best solution, and not without risk, but we're not looking for best practice, just something that has a fair chance of working.

• flyingtim01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So once I get the siding down and then back up, what's the story with sealing the siding itself? I'm leaning towards caulking the vertical joints (between the ends of the clapboards and trim pieces) and leaving the horizontal gaps between the courses of clapboards open so the interior can breathe. Opinions?

• millworkman
    10 years ago

You don't caulk the joints in wood siding.