Return to the Old House Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calcification under paint bubbles in bathroom?

Posted by terryr (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 13:23

8 years ago, I tore out everything in the full bathroom upstairs. The ceiling is what I was told is a cove ceiling. Everything went except the plaster walls and the floor. I removed wallpaper from the walls. The electrical was updated where it could be in the whole house, the bathroom was one room that had a total redo. It didn't have an exhaust fan, I had one installed. There was a lot of wallpaper paste that wouldn't come off. It was suggested that I use Guards by Zinsser, then use their shellac primer, then I painted with a water based paint. A couple years ago, I noticed on the other side of the bathroom, about a foot from the wall, maybe a foot up from how the wall curves up into the ceiling, that the paint was bubbling. I showed my husband, he had less of a clue than I did, so we did nothing. I noticed the other day that these bubbles had really grown in size. Last night they looked funny, dry. I touched one and it "crackled" under my touch. I thought it was the plaster falling apart. Later that evening, I cut the biggest bubble open and I was able to peel the paint away from the wall. Everything was coming off....the paint and the primer. I could tell that the Guards was still there, I remember it dried shiny. That crunch that I felt? There's something that looks like calcification.

What would cause this? What do we do now? We have a huge area that the primer/paint peeled off. How does one repaint, once the calcification is fixed, so that you don't see that there's a huge chunk of paint missing? There's a lot more than will peel off....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calcification under paint bubbles in bathroom?

Sounds like the old paste that you did not remove. The Gardz and Bin can only do so much. They were not made to lock down gobs of paste, only residual amounts. You need to remove all that is loose and peeling, remove the paste, re prime with Gardz, skim it with joint compound, sand, clean, repeat until smooth, prime and paint.

o

I didn't leave "gobs" of paste, it was residual. I got as much paste off, using Dif, as I could, then I sanded, trying to get what had been (then was dried), slimy feel of the paste off the walls/ceiling. This calcification, if that's what it is, is on top of the Gardz, on top of the shine left by the Gardz. This calcification is in a few spots, and it's a few lines. Not round, not square, not oblong, not all over...just these few lines.

o

Then, you got me. Got any pics?

o

...there's this one...

o

...and this one...these are the only ones....

o

...and it looks like this....

o

My DH, who knows about such things, says it looks like outgassing. Something in or under the shellac was his guess. Sorry, but no help on how to fix it or why it waited so long to leave.

o

Thank you maryinthefalls....but I'm confused! What shellac? Does he mean the Gardz?

o
RE: Calcification?

Thank you maryinthefalls....but I'm confused! What shellac? Does he mean the Gardz?

o

I dunno why it posted that twice...i see edit...FYI for me, how do I delete?

o

The shellac primer will act like a coat of straight shellac and form a coating which when the gases (alcohol or moisture) try to escape, it forms bubbles like you described. There are probably more bubbles that you can't see or feel; that caused the paint to fail in that area. He doesn't know where the gases came from and whether or not it will happen again. We are newbies at these old houses, but we would sand, reprime and paint again. And hold our breath that it doesn't happen again. Maybe someone else can chime in here.

o

ohhh...eee gads! THAT shellac...lol...duh as my daughter would say!

I used the shellac primer everywhere in this house...does being in the bathroom have something to do with it I wonder??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Old House Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here