Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terryr_76

Calcification under paint bubbles in bathroom?

terryr
10 years ago

8 years ago, I tore out everything in the full bathroom upstairs. The ceiling is what I was told is a cove ceiling. Everything went except the plaster walls and the floor. I removed wallpaper from the walls. The electrical was updated where it could be in the whole house, the bathroom was one room that had a total redo. It didn't have an exhaust fan, I had one installed. There was a lot of wallpaper paste that wouldn't come off. It was suggested that I use Guards by Zinsser, then use their shellac primer, then I painted with a water based paint. A couple years ago, I noticed on the other side of the bathroom, about a foot from the wall, maybe a foot up from how the wall curves up into the ceiling, that the paint was bubbling. I showed my husband, he had less of a clue than I did, so we did nothing. I noticed the other day that these bubbles had really grown in size. Last night they looked funny, dry. I touched one and it "crackled" under my touch. I thought it was the plaster falling apart. Later that evening, I cut the biggest bubble open and I was able to peel the paint away from the wall. Everything was coming off....the paint and the primer. I could tell that the Guards was still there, I remember it dried shiny. That crunch that I felt? There's something that looks like calcification.

What would cause this? What do we do now? We have a huge area that the primer/paint peeled off. How does one repaint, once the calcification is fixed, so that you don't see that there's a huge chunk of paint missing? There's a lot more than will peel off....

Comments (12)